Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Now That The Smoke Has Cleared


Some final thoughts on the historic passage of the Health Care Reform Bill...

Sunday night, as the votes were tallied and the health care initiative passed, I was happy. I was proud of my president and I was happy for some members of the legislature who chose to do what is right for the American people, even though it could possibly mean their political ruin.

Despite all of this, there was still an "idiot" moment. A politician who should know better yelled out, "Baby Killer". Remember last year, when the Republican senator from South Carolina yelled out, "You Lie!?"

A Republican congressman from Texas on Monday admitted that he shouted “baby killer” from the House floor as Rep. Bart Stupak (D-MI) defended his change of position on health care legislation on Sunday. But Rep. Randy Neugebauer (R-TX) said that his remark was a comment on the bill itself and not directed at the Michigan lawmaker. Okay, if he says so.

"In the heat and emotion of the debate, I exclaimed the phrase 'it's a baby killer' in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership," Neugebauer said in a statement released by his office. "While I remain heartbroken over the passage of this bill and the tragic consequences it will have for the unborn, I deeply regret that my actions were mistakenly interpreted as a direct reference to Congressman Stupak himself. Again... okay, if he says so.

"I have apologized to Mr. Stupak and also apologize to my colleagues for the manner in which I expressed my disappointment about the bill. The House Chamber is a place of decorum and respect. The timing and tone of my comment last night was inappropriate."

Yeah, it was inappropriate. Once again, we have an elected official, an adult, acting like a schoolboy and having to apologize for outlandish behavior. For all of their bitching, moaning, and whining about how bad this bill is and how it's socialized medicine and what not, I have not heard the opposition party offer an alternative once. I have challenged them to offer an alternative in several of my posts and I have yet to see or hear of one.

This tells me that there really was no alternative policy... that all the opposition wanted was business as usual. I do mean business. The insurance companies are big business and they have been making a lot of money off the backs of the American people.

Well, I got news for 'em all... What does the current health care industry (before reform was passed) have in common with leisure suits, eight track tapes, cassettes, disco, and Republican scare tactics and misinformation?

Answer: They are all relics of the past and like those relics, they are gone, baby. Gone!

2 comments:

Don said...

Good read, agreed. I cannot believe how so many people are actually angered by the passing of the bill. All I can think about is the fact that all working Americans will now be offered affordable health care, which is an excellent idea. But this seems to be the last thing on the minds of those who have gone so far as to call for the head of Barack Obama.


I probably never understand.

Arlene said...

Hurray for our president and hurray for healthcare reform!! We're at least on track for change. Since I learned the salary of the president of my healthcare provider is $24 million yearly plus bonuses, I've been on a tear. (That's rip off the clothes and sit in sackcloth and ashes.) I have a hard time believing people are so greedy and others so hard-hearted.

P.S.- The republicans had a plan - it was to defeat the president. Now they're scrambling to find another way to do it. They'll use abortion, death panels, or tax increases to scare people. The sorry part is that main ones complaining about a tax increase won't have to pay it. The increase is for those making over $250,000 yearly. The ones who got the tax breaks from Bush that pushed the national budget out of whack. I doubt the tea baggers make that kind of money.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading