Wednesday, May 28, 2014

R.I.P. Maya Angelou


I wasn't going to write anything today, but I just got the news that Poet-Civil Rights Activist,Maya Angelou has transitioned out of this life...

I remember reading her book-"I know why the Caged Bird Sings" when I was in the ninth grade....It was one of the books that made me want to express myself through the written word..

Her death comes less than a week after Ms Angelou announced she would not attend the 2014 MLB Beacon Awards Luncheon, where she was to be honored, citing "health reasons." Last month, she also canceled an event in Fayetteville, Arkansas, because she was recovering from an "unexpected ailment" that left her hospitalized.
"The mayor is very saddened to hear the loss of a woman of such renowned phenomenal status as Dr. Angelou. Our prayers are with her family, her staff and all the people she has worked with," Linda Jackson-Barnes, assistant to Winston-Salem Mayor Allen Joines, said.
      
Maya Angelou was born on April 4, 1928, in St. Louis, Missouri, under the name Marguerite Annie Johnson. She grew up to become a singer, dancer, actress, writer and Hollywood's first female black director.
 
A Rennasaince Woman and one of my heroes...We are losing too many of my heores...and God knows , this generation needs them!

No comments:




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading