Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Cosby Conundrum

If you're from Philadelphia as I am...Then you naturally know Philly's favorite son...Not Rocky Balboa...But Bill Cosby...

I've actually never met the man in person...But I feel as though I know him...He has loomed large over me and every Black Philadelphian of a certain age for as long as I can remember..

On Thursday Nights in the 80's from 8:00-8:30 , my entire family was in front of a television set watching the Cosby show...For years he has been an icon and a hero to all Philadelphians...

Unfortunately...Heroes ,real life human beings either die young or they live long enough to be found out to be, well, human and with flaws like everybody else...

Until a few weeks ago when an obscure comedian, Hanibal Buress made an unflattering joke about Bill Cosby being an alleged rapist...I knew nothing about eight women in the 80's who accused him of drugging them and taking advantage of them sexually........

I know now....Or do I?

These charges were never brought to trial...Bill Cosby was never charged with anything and to my knowledge ,they all were settled out of court...Which means somebody took some money...

Now they're back....Because of one relatively unknown comedian's joke which went viral!

This is America...We love to build our heroes up ,just so we can tear them down.....

Yesterday was the ultimate in embarassment for the 77 year old comedian..


A new promotional feature on Bill Cosby's official website has backfired. Instead, Internet users are posting stills that highlight the legendary comic's troubled past.

"Go ahead. Meme me!" Cosby instructed his Twitter followers on Monday afternoon, directing people to a gallery of photos from his famed sitcom and encouraging them to add witty captions.

And meme they did, but not the kind Cosby would want. The hashtag "#cosbymeme" saw instant uploads alluding to allegations that Cosby drugged and raped a woman at his Pennsylvania mansion in 2004.

The case was settled out of court in 2006 but that didn't stop it from taking over Twitter and Facebook on Monday, with plenty of deadpan humor to spare. All thanks to Cosby's own photo tool.

My daughter says this is why Old people should stay off of Social Media...

Cosby's representative didn't immediately return TheWrap's request for comment. And the meme feature is still active on his site.


Instead of Internet users using the meme generator link provided by the the 77-year-old actor to create wholesome jokes, Cosby was put on blast over sexual assault accusations against him that date back to the 1970s.

"Look at this wacky shirt I'm wearing, also I am a serial rapist," one read.


"My two favorite things: Jello pudding and rape," said the text splashed across another photo of "The Cosby Show" actor.

In 2004, reports surfaced that 13 women had claimed to have been sexually abused by the TV personality.

Comedian Hannibal Buress recently called out Cosby in a stand-up routine at a Philadelphia club in October.


“Thirteen?" Buress said

"It's even worse because Bill Cosby has the fuckin' smuggest old black man public persona that I hate. He gets on TV and says, Pull your pants up black people, I was on TV in the '80s! I can talk down to you because I had a successful sitcom!' Yeah, but you rape women, Bill Cosby, so turn the crazy down a couple notches."

Tell me the truth..Had anyone ever heard of Hanibal Buress before his now infamous stand up routine??

You have heard of him now...

All I'm going to say is I hope he has more material and this isn't all he's ever going to be known for...Bringing down a beloved icon.


1 comment:

Arlene said...

Keith, I think the web has become the vacation home of the anonymous trolls out there. Cowards can write their dirty little butts off behind a screen of unknown.

I've met Bill Cosby twice. The first time was at a concert at Howard in 1970. He performed along with Roberta Flack at a fundraiser for a medical project. (That's when I wanted to be a biologist and was heavy into science classes.) He permitted a small group to come backstage to talk about blacks in the sciences. I recounted that story when I met him again at the taping of the final Cosby Show in Astoria. I went with my friend Jackie, whose mother had baked cakes for Oprah when they went to her show and had baked a cake for Bill at Oprah's suggestion. That's how we got to meet the cast personally, with coconut cake!!
So the guy's a leach! Stay away or bring a recording devise and a lawyer!




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading