Saturday, January 23, 2016

Oscar Blues


You might be surprised at my position on the proposed boycot of this years Oscars by Black Actors and Actresses...

I'm not with it...

But not for reasons Stacy Dash and white racists may think...

I'm just..what is the point? This is not news...The Oscars have been #so white for years now..with a few exceptions when they tossed us a few bones....

How many Latinos have won Oscars? For that matter how many Native Americans or Asians?

You see my point?

As I explained to a friend on Facebook yesterday...I used to watch them and get mad.....I was angry in 1972 when neither Diana Ross ,nor Cicely Tyson won ...I was so mad that by the time I was 18 ,I stopped watching and didn't watch again until the year Lou Gossett Jr. won best supporting actor for Officer and a Gentleman....I was 26 by then...They had gotten better handing out statutes to Denzel,Cuba,Whoopi, Halle,Morgan Freeman,Jennifer Hudson and a few others, and then for the past two years it's been a BLACKOUT...pun intended....I won't be watching this year either!

I can find better things to do with my free time...

I am so over the Oscars....And so should a lot of Black people...I am just tired ,Tired of needing White America for verification of my self worth...

For Stacey Dash and the white racists who say..."Well we don't get mad when White people don't win NAACP IMAGE Awards or BET awards..."which I found funny ,just think of something...Historically Black Colleges and Universities, NAACP Image Awards, BET Awards, Latin Grammys...et al...None of this would be necessary if we truly lived in a color blind society , a post racial society where everybody was recognized and rewarded equally....but we don't...We never have...

Up until 1950....Practically every movie that went through Holywood was 99 percent all white casts...And the only Black people you saw was maids and butlers and if they had speaking parts...It was comic relief...

The explosion of Black cinema in the 70's ..though admittedly cheesy went over most white people(with the exception of Quentin Tarrantino)'s heads....Still there were a few gems...Sounder, Lady Sings the Blues..Nothin But a Man, Watermelon Man , Sweet Sweetback's Badass song..Shaft that were all but ignored by Oscar...

Black people should have been boycotting back then when we were really being ignored....

People are up in the air now...but this is longgggg overdue...

The past two years in a row..There have been no Black nominees for anything...Why is anyone surprised?? Nothing new here...

I'll speak on this some more..

(TO BE CONTINUED)

5 comments:

Sean said...

Very well stated points...I wholly agree with what you said!

Captain Jack said...

You are giving it to the people!

Angie B. said...

Wow Keith, dropping science on a Saturday!

Toni said...

Very good post...You make good points, but then you always do!

Samuel Bastion said...

Here,Here good brother Keith!




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading