Wednesday, September 30, 2009

In The Wrong World


My grandson is a little over 3 + 1/2 years old. For now, at least, he appears to be a very happy child and I would like for him to be able to stay that way. I often wonder what kind of world he's about to walk into. Not the world where, if he can live that long, he'll be paying for the excesses of both the Bush and Obama administrations. No, I'm talking about the world of children his age he'll be meeting in just a few years when he enters school. What will they be like? Chances are, he and they will grow up to be... well, scary, if the story I'm about to tell you is any indication of what our kids are becoming.

In Chicago, Derrion Albert, a 16 year old honor roll student, was attacked by four teenagers and beaten to death recently. If I hear one more person say that this kid, who was innocent, was in the "wrong place at the wrong time" I'm going to scream. That's almost implying that it was his fault that these idiots killed him. To date three of the young killers are in custody. A fourth teenager is due in court after being charged in the fatal beating of Albert, who was described by his family as a "great kid" who loved school. Eighteen year old Eugene Bailey is one of four people charged with first-degree murder in Albert's death. Bailey was due in bond court on Tuesday and the other three teenagers were ordered to be held without bond Monday. Cell phone footage shows a group of teens kicking and striking Albert with splintered railroad ties after the sophomore left school on Thursday.

Albert's aunt, Rose Braxton, told "The Early Show" (CBS) on Tuesday that her nephew had an "easy-going temperament." Albert's grandfather, Joseph Walker, added that he doesn't plan to watch the video of the attack because he wasn't there to protect his grandson. I can certainly relate to that... I couldn't bare watching anything like that myself. The graphic video of the afternoon melee emerged on local news stations over the weekend, showing the fatal beating of Albert. His death was the latest addition to a rising toll: More than 30 students were killed during the last school year and the city could exceed that number this year. Authorities said that Albert was walking to a bus stop when he got caught up in the mob-street fighting.

The violence stemmed from a shooting early on Thursday morning, involving two groups of students from different neighborhoods, said Tandra Simonton, a spokeswoman for the Cook County prosecutor's office. When school ended, members of the groups began fighting near the Agape Community Center. Captured in part on a bystander's cell phone video, Albert was struck on the head by one of several young men wielding wooden planks during the attack. After he fell to the ground and it appeared that he tried to get up, he was struck again and then kicked. Simonton said Albert was a bystander and not part of either group.

The Rev. Victor Grandberry told NBC Chicago that Albert "was just a nice young man that grew up in the community. Folks just tried to bullie him, tried to rob him, and tried to do everything they could." A camera attached to the Agape Community Center also captured at least part of the attack, the center's executive director, Milton Massie, told NBC Chicago. I heard that one of the killers jumped on his head, after he was already down and disabled. I'll spare you anymore gory and graphic details.

I just want to know where does this kind of pathology come from? What are the parents of these kids like? Do you want to bet that a father is missing in the homes of at least three of these four boys accused of this murder? Do you want to bet that at least two of them has a half-brother or sister from a guy who is not married to his mother, who probably treats him with disdain or is totally oblivious to him?

I'm betting that this lack of love, human compassion, and guidance at home is the reason many a young man is sitting behind bars in the nation's swelling prisons today. Before some of you accuse me of airing dirty laundry, let me say that not once did I mention race. These boys could just as easily be White, Hispanic, or Asian. This is an American problem... our children. They are not being cared for, they are not being guided, and they are not being loved. They are just being tolerated and they are coming out on the streets, angry, malnourished, and without compassion. That's what created the sociopaths that were capable of doing what they did to another human being!

Where is the love?

So, I wonder... is this the world that both of my grandchildren are going to be walking into? Is this what they might potentially become? Not while I still have a few good breaths left in me...

28 comments:

Toni said...

Where is the love Keith? You are so right...There are so many Fatherless and unloved children growing up into little monsters out in our streets.

Toni said...

I am first...who whooo! -:)

Simon Bastion said...

Keith, this obviously hits home with you...great post brother!

Sunflower said...

Looks like everybody is up early today Keith....Excellent post..I share your sentiments about our kids.

Brenda said...

Keith,I love you for writing about this and I really understand your personal stake in all of this..We all worry about our children..but then we realize..it's our job ,all of us to do something about the problem.

Angie B. said...

Parts of this post brought tears to my eyes Keith...I so feel you on this.

Cheryl said...

You hit the ball out of the park with this one Keith...What are we
(not) raising today?

James Perkins said...

Good Post, Powerful post good brother..

Grover Tha Playboy said...

If I'm gonna get up early to read something,it might as well be your stuff man and this was one good reason to do so. That kid in Chicago's death was horrible..I couldn't even look at the video.

Lisa said...

Oh Keith,I so feel you on this...I coudn't bare to watch that video of that poor kid's beating death.
Then I was filled with rage at the
heathens who did this.

Halo said...

God Help us! That's all I can say. Good post as usual.

Vanessa said...

Very Emotional and a post that hit me close to home.Thanks for writing this..I worry about my kids too and what they may have to face.

Jazzy said...

Once again, you've struck a nerve fam! Gave us all something to morally think about.

Captain Jack said...

Keith ,this post brought tears to my eyes...this was just so poignant. I know how much you love your grandchildren and tying it in with the death of the Chicago kid brought this home even more.

Sean said...

I like the fact that not only spoke of the villiany that your grandson might face ,but of the villian he might become...That was an interesting and honest take on the whole subject.

Tate2 said...

Man,Fathers got to step up and be Fathers man.

Swaggie said...

Great Post.I saw that video...I couldn't believe that they did something like that to another human being...I hope all four of them get the death penalty.

Anonymous said...

I finally saw that video. Wish I hadn't.

I often think of when my son gets older and the things he would have to face.

Rich Fitzgerald said...

I worry about the same for my 7 year old son. He never met anyone he didn't like. He never understands it when kids are mean for no reason. All I can do is keep providing him life lessons.

The problem and the solution definitely starts at home. Maybe the parents should be brought up on charges too. However, I just don't see the powers that be being as hard when it comes to people who look like them.

clnmike said...

I feel you, I think we take for granted what goes on in the lives of these kids today and rely on some else to do the work.

Arlene said...

Keith, I think we have become desensitized to the feelings of others. Those of the 80's generation were raised with a "me first" attitude. That's the attitude that trickled down from the extremely rich to the poor. Ronnie Reagan and his crowd promoted the idea that self preservation was all important. No one was expected to assist his fellow man. Now that mindset allows us to WATCH while another is murdered in the streets, even to record it electronicly for distribution. And in front of a place named AGAPE! Lord, help us and our children.

Solomon said...

It makes me sick to my stomach to even read about these kinds of stories. I've been wondering for years what this world is coming to. It is unbelievable because it seems like with each passing year the mess just keeps getting worse.

12kyle said...

When I saw the clip on CNN, I could bare to watch it. I just felt sick. I don't know where we went wrong as a people. But that's not how we should be. It's a shame. Where are the parents? Community leaders?

What would make a child care so little about their life that they would care less about taking another life?

Anonymous said...

HEY I GUESS WE ALL HAVE LOTS TO CATCH UP ON.....hey keep being the great person ( dad, husband, grandpop) you are!!

The Dreamy One said...

makes you wonder huh Keith.

that was a very disturbing video to watch and it really broke my heart

makes me scared for my little niece who will grow up and one day be in school

all we can do is pray and hope God watches over the ones we love

as usual great post

Strongblkwmn said...

Where is the love is a great question. This is just a sad situation. Life seems to have no value to a lot of people these days. My kids are 24 and 18 and I still worry about them. I'm 41 and my mother worries about me too.

Rashan Jamal said...

I haven't and will not watch the video. That violence is effed up. I do think that things have been bad, and it's all relative. I remember the crack violence when I was in high school, before that it was the heroin, and before that it was something else. There are bad people in every generation. We made it and your grandson has the same opportunity that we do.

Junior said...

Little doubt, the dude is totally just.
6 | my site | here




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading