Monday, January 4, 2010

The New Year's Theory


You know, it's crazy to be superstitious and even more insane to create your own superstitions. I don't know why, but I have long believed that whatever happens to me in the first 48 hours of the new year will be a forbearer on how the rest of the year goes.

One year, I got into a loud knock-down, drag-out argument with someone on New Year's Eve. The rest of that year, I was in one verbal conflict after another with various people and by the end of that year, I had ended a bad relationship with a girlfriend and had ended two toxic relationships with friends.

Then, there was the year that I slipped in some ice and fell down in the street on New Year's Day. There was a wet, five dollar bill stuck to the sole of my shoe and I was unemployed at the time. I got not one, but two jobs within a three month period of time that year and started a bank account for myself. Coincidence? Who can really know?

Another year, I was at a New Year's Eve party at one of my old college roommate's home. This party was rowdy and long and I was depressed because I had broken up with my girlfriend right before Christmas. I drank until I was good and soused and walked from his house to my house that night (his house was about 2-3 miles from my house). There, I fell to the floor and went to sleep in my hat and coat and stayed there until morning. You would think that beginning a new year like that would mean that I was going to either be in rehab or just have a crappy year right? Wrong. I met the woman I eventually wound up marrying four days later and had a great year so, go figure.

This New Year's Eve, my wife and I went to Watch Night Service at our church and came home to our living room ceiling leaking from the rain outside. I vented a little but my wife reminded me to be thankful for the fact that we have the means to take care of it now and several years ago, we might not have been in such a position. Then, I felt better. She has always been good about reminding me of the positives. So with that, what kind of year will I have? A wet one? (Just kidding!) One full of challenges but challenges that can be met and overcome? A reassuring one? I still don't know.

What I do know is I believe in God and so far, no matter what has befallen me, I have somehow survived and looked good doing it. So I say, bring it on. I'll be here...

5 comments:

12kyle said...

Happy New Year, fam

A leaky roof means that your blessings will "rain down on you"

That's the way I see it. LoL

Anonymous said...

This is no coincidence. God has prepared you for every situation and has promised you His presense in all things. Having a positive attitude is a reflecton of your knowledge of the Lord's abiding love. Now that doesn't mean that rough times and disasters won't happen. It is the calm assurance that all things work together for good for the Lord's elect.
P.S. There should have been a few capitals for inflection purposes, but I learned a lesson last year! And I forgot the password.

Arlene

Blu Jewel said...

I like 12Kyle's assessment of what this year will be like for you. I do know this for real though, God can and will always make a way for those who trust and believe in Him. He gives us lessons in everything we go through and it's how we use them is what counts.

You're a good man Keith and I know your blessings will come in just when you need them.

It's all possible.

PS...I'm blogging with some consistency now!

LadyLee said...

Yeah, 12Kyle said THAT! I totally agree! Let the blessings rain down!

♥ CG ♥ said...

Yep, Deacon Kyle and Arlene are right. Things happen and yet there are still blessings to be had. Happy New Year!




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading