Friday, January 29, 2010

Sometimes I Forget That I'm Black Too!


I was watching President Barack Obama's State of the Union speech the night before last and it hit me... This is the President of the United States. A guy my age, a guy I might have sat next to in school. This is amazing! So, when Chris Matthews of MSNBC nearly bordered on becoming a candidate for the "Foot In Mouth Club" minuts later, I understood perfectly.

Chris Matthews said he "forgot Obama was black tonight for an hour. I said, wait a minute... He's an African-American guy in front of a bunch of other white people." Matthews was analyzing President Obama's first State of the Union speech when he commented.

He said... "I was trying to think about who he was tonight. It's interesting. He is post-racial, by all appearances. I forgot he was black tonight for an hour. You know, he's gone a long way to become a leader of this country, and past so much history, in just a year or two. I mean, it's something we don't even think about. I was watching, I said, wait a minute, he's an African American guy in front of a bunch of other white people. And, here he is President of the United States and we've completely forgotten that tonight -- completely forgotten it."

Well, I certainly wasn't thinking about it... but, I know for a fact that some people in that very room were. I don't understand the controversy over what Chris Matthews said because I perfectly understand what he meant and I in no way take offense to it. Neither should anyone else. He merely stated what for him, a white man may have been the truth so, I'm good with it! He finally looked at Barack the way 33 million other African-Americans wish that white people would look at us. As human beings and not just as "Black", "African-American" , "Knee-Grows" or "Cullard". He saw him as a man who had accomplished much over a short period of time.

In a perfect world, maybe he and all of us... Latino, American Indian, Asian, etc. could just be viewed for our accomplishments and not our racial differences. I applaud Chris Matthews for admitting that he was able to do that, if only for that hour. This may surprise you but sometimes, I forget that I'm Black too! It's the strangest thing... and I do for days until I'm reminded by the good people of these United States.

5 comments:

RainaHavock said...

Chris Matthews will never be the same in my eyes again. I mean seriously?! smh

A.Smith said...

What Chris Matthews said is problematic because why does he need to "forget" President Obama is black?

He definitely didn't mean it offensively, but this tendency of white people to say "I don't see color" or "I don't think of you as black" harkens back to when they would say things like "you're a credit to your race."

Just because it's intended as a compliment doesn't make it so. If you don't notice I"m black, you're missing out on something that's shaped who I am.

If what you mean is that you don't judge me because I'm black, then that's what you should say.

Additionally, is Chris Matthews saying every other time President Obama has spoken he couldn't get past the color of his skin? And why's that and how's it effect the way he heard what the President said.

It was a dumb thing to say and totally unnecessary, in my opinion.

Mizrepresent said...

Good one Keith! It would be great if this entire nation was able to recognize, applaud and support our President not because of his color, but of his actions and his deeds. King spoke about that several decades ago, and yet some still can't get past the color of our skin.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.



KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading