Tuesday, May 11, 2010

R.I.P. Lena Horne


I was sadly informed that we have once again lost one of the greats. Ms. Lena Horne has died at the age of 92. She was one of those icons that just seemed timeless... like they would never die. Truly larger than life, that's what icons are... but, icons are also human and, therefore, prone to die just like the rest of us. The first black actress signed to a long-term contract by Hollywood, Lena Horn, a very unique and talented singer, will be long-remembered as a “class act”.

The passing of Ms. Horne is a milestone in the lives of many. A voice like no other entertained millions around the world and stood out against all her peers. She was famous for her theme song “Stormy Weather”, a song no one would ever, ever forget for her sultry, aching sadness.

I must admit, I had never heard of Lena Horne until I was 14 years old and saw her on an episode of Sanford & Son in 1972. She had quite a career before that, as my grandparents, my mother, and countless aunts and uncles informed me. I read up on her and was amazed at what she overcame and what she had to live with that couldn't be changed at the time she was coming up. Dorothy Dandridge, Diana Ross, Beyonce and all the would-be divas of today owe Ms. Horne a great debt of gratitude. She paved the way and opened all of the doors that would have been closed.

Later, I saw her on an episode of the Cosby Show in the 80's. She had to have been about 67 or 68 years old by then, but still stunningly beautiful and very classy. A lot of people, male and female, can only hope to still have it going on like that when they reach that age.

So, I'll say my goodbye to one of the truly great ones... Sleep well Ms. Lena Horne and thank you for everything.

1 comment:

Arlene said...

You're so right Keith. I didn't realize the impact Ms. Horne had on the entire entertainment business until now. Her refusal to be treated as a 2nd class citizen or participate passively in segregated events was well known in our household. We just couldn't understand why such a pretty woman was treated so badly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but who couldn't see the beauty in this lovely woman?? Those blinded by racism, I guess. I'm glad she was here and left a path in the road for others to follow.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading