Saturday, February 28, 2015

R.I.P. Anthony Mason

 (1966-2015)


If you're a true sports fan as I am...and a basketball fan as I am in particular...You awoke this morning to the news that former New York Knicks power forward, Anthony Mason has passed away..from the effects of a heart attack he suffered a few weeks ago...

I always loved this man's game...Even though he often was bruising my beloved 76ers....He played in a different era...A different time...Back when the Atlantic Division of the NBA was Tough..The Celtics, the 76ers and The New York Knicks were perrenial locks to go to the playoffs and possibly the NBA Finals..

It was bruising , in your face , street playground basketball at best...and nobody personified it more than Anthony "Real Mase" Mason....

Anthony Mason, a bruising power forward who personified the gritty Knicks of the mid-'90s, died early this morning. He was 48.

Anthony Mason had suffered a massive heart attack earlier in the month as I said.

"Mase" played 13 seasons in the NBA with six teams but is best remembered for his days with the New York Knicks. After playing abroad and in both the CBA and USBL, Anthony Mason had brief stints with the Nets(before they were Brooklyn) and Denver before being signed by Pat Riley, who admired his rugged style and his play making ability. Along with Patrick Ewing and Charles Oakley, he helped give the Knicks of the early ’90s one of the most physically imposing front lines in NBA history.


"He was as tough as they come,"his friend and former team-mate Charles Oakley told the News.

"First I want to think all those who offered prayers and well-wishes for my Father, our family really appreciates it," his son, Anthony Mason Jr. said in a statement.

“Overnight New York City and the world lost a legend, a friend, a brother... but more than anything our father, Anthony Mason,”Anthony  Mason Jr. continued. “As you all would expect our father - Big Mase - put up an incredible fight, dealing with severe heart issues. I'm wishing this was something else I was writing, but Pops we've got to let you know” ‘we love you and know you'll always be with us. ‘”
“I ask at this time that you respect our family's privacy with regard to questions as our family takes the time to mourn,” Mason Jr.’s message concluded.

Yes...I need time to take this all in myself.

No comments:




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading