Monday, October 12, 2015

Happy Indigenous People's Day


"There are so many holidays we celebrate every year that mean nothing. Like Columbus Day. Nobody celebrates Columbus Day, nobody puts three ships in their front yard.

First of all, Columbus discovered the West Indies. Second of all, the land he discovered had occupants on it. That's like discovering someone's back yard." ~ Chris Rock

Even when I was a child in elementary school...I used to ask the question...Why are we celebrating Christopher Columbus?

How did he "Discover America" when there were already people here when he got here?I would ask....

You can understand why teachers hated me...I would ask the annoying questions...

And later...I realized that he didn't even know where he was when he arrived...He thought he was in India...Which is why he arrogantly named the native people who were here when he arrived -INDIANS!  And Native Americans have unfortunately held on to that moniker ever since..

Columbus Day as it were is meaningless and historically inaccurate... I've since found out that he wasn't even the first white man to arrive in the Western Hemisphere...There is now evidence that the Vikings may have been here at least 100 years before him as well as others...

Some of us though still like to hold on to myths....

Me, I'd rather deal with the truth....

So Happy Indigenous People's Day!

No comments:




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading