Thursday, February 7, 2008

Welcome Back, Diane!


It's time to talk about books again. About 13 or 14 years ago, I read a novel called "Tumbling" by a then unknown Black author named Diane McKinney-Whetstone. What I enjoyed about the novel most was that the city of Philadelphia was the star of the story. It was so nice to read a book that has familiar streets, places you've been, and characters that remind you of people you know. I loved it, raved about it, and was the first person in line to buy her second book, "Tempest Rising". I also bought her subsequent books, "Blues Dancing" and "Leaving Cecil Street". All three of these books are set in my 'native' (West) Philadelphia.

Diane has a good read for details. She got every crack in the sidewalk right. I can tell that she obviously has lived on these same streets. Today, while surfing the web, I find that she has written another novel, "Trading Dreams at Midnight". I can't wait to purchase this book. Each one of her novels has made me hungry for the next one and it's been at least a seven year wait. She teaches at the University of Pennsylvania.

No comments:




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading