Monday, March 31, 2008

Heard This Before?



"We are succeeding in Iraq...I don't care what anyone is saying." Therein lies my problem with John McCain being president. He is someone who I don't necessarily dislike but, I just couldn't live with him as president because his views on this war parrot the Bush administration's views on the war. Whether anybody wants to admit it or not, this war is the reason our economy is in the toilet. We started the new millennium with a surplus and a balanced budget for the first time in years. Now, we have a deficit larger than the one that preceded it and our economy is either in recession or near one, depending on who or what you choose to believe.

Bush and his administration are still telling people that we are waging war against Al-Qaeda in Iraq. We are actually fighting Shiites, with the help of another Shiite group. Most Al-Qaeda members are Sunni Muslims. Sunnis and Shiites aren't exactly kissing cousins... meaning, you don't invite them to the same dinner party. McCain, like Bush, doesn't seem to understand the complexities here... and, if he does understand, he is purposely misleading the American public. You don't go to a gunfight with a knife and you don't enter the Middle East not knowing all of the players, as did the U.S.

McCain and Bush represent, to me, a continuation of the same policy that is not working and is costing us more than it ever should have cost in the first place. You want to talk to me about experience? Let's talk about trying something different... let's talk about opening up a new dialogue with all of the players... and, let's stop telling the American people fairy tales. Maybe the new people, Hillary or Barack, will view the problem with fresh eyes. Somebody better do and say something different because frankly, I'm tired of hearing the same old thing I've been hearing from D.C.

2 comments:

Arlene said...

I'm with you on McCain. He represents the militaristic view of the traditional American hawk. Go to war. Win the war, at any cost of human life. Now McCain has put his life on the line. I'd think he would not want to subject another to the possible torture that he faced. But, not so. Patriotism mean to be dedicated to what is right about your country and being willing to stand and say what's wrong with the desire to correct for the benefit of others. Bush/McCain seem to think it means blind allegiance to a symbol. Enough of the past! Let's get started on the future.
P.S. I'd love to blog about political things but because of the job, I have to keep my comments personal.

ZACK said...

I agree with you and Arlene.

McCain doesn't really represent what this country should be about. He's not a bad guy, though. He's just not a good guy for the position of President No. 44.

Although Obama is still not my first choice, should he win the nomination, I might vote for him just to send a message to the "Rethuglican" party (a phrase coined from The Field Negro)




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading