Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Am I Becoming A Metrosexual?


Metrosexual is a neologism generally applied to heterosexual men with a strong concern for their appearance or whose lifestyles display attributes stereotypically seen among gay men. The "metro" (city) prefix indicates this man's purely urban lifestyle, while the "sexual" suffix comes from heterosexual, meaning that this man, although he is usually straight, embodies the heightened aesthetic sense often associated with certain types of gay men.

My wife could argue that I use more grooming products to get ready in the morning than any woman. A typical "Keith" morning begins as such... I run a basin of hot, steamy water to shock the senses and wake me up. Then, I use Neutrogena facial scrub to exfoliate the whiskers and cleanse all the dirt from my skin, as well as rid me of dead skin. After another wash, I apply Gillette lime shaving cream to my face and I use a Gillette Mach 5 Razor to shave. After that I use Neutrogena facial wash. It's a light soap that stings just a little but, washes off the shaving cream and moistens the skin. Then, I use Nivea facial balm. It stings but, it soothes too.

After shaving comes the most important part of my regimen... oral care. (Bad breath is one of my pet peeves and anyone who has been on a crowded elevator or an inner city Philly bus in the hot summer knows what I mean... phewwww!) After vigorously brushing my teeth with Colgate toothpaste, I rinse with what else... Scope! Then, I rinse my mouth out with warm water… don't want too much of the Scope smell in my mouth.

After that, I take a shower. I'm really into different smelling shower gels and I run the gamut with these products (AXE, Izzy Miyake, Black Walnut, Dove). The shower gel I use depends on my mood at the time. I towel off and lotion my arms and legs with Nivea moisturizing lotion. And then, of course, I use Arrid extra dry deodorant and splash on a little cologne... Izzy Miyake, Polo (went old school on ya), Black Walnut, or an assortment of others. Like the shower gel, the cologne depends on my mood at the time.

Total bathroom time: 45 minutes... which is why I get up before everyone else does.

It didn't occur to me how much I did until I went shopping one day and realized that I was buying more grooming essentials than my wife and daughter combined. I took stock and I was indeed surprised. Then, I was reading an article in GQ about "Metrosexuals" and I became aware that I just might be becoming this new modern man. It was indeed an eye opener.

All this makes me wonder... when I was "in the game", out there chasing girls, a bar of Irish Spring soap and some of my dad's Old Spice cologne was about as much preparation as I could be counted on to give to myself. Oh yeah, I did brush my teeth and use Scope mouthwash... but, that was it. So, how did I evolve into using all of this other stuff? Well, I'm better read and my wallet has gotten a little fatter now. And, I suppose my mind is a little more open to these kinds of things. What can I say?

1 comment:

Mizrepresent said...

Oh no, i wouldn't label you Metro-sexual, now if you started getting your eyebrows arches, an applying clear nail polish to your hands and toes...then YES! You are a man with good maintenance plan, and there is nothing wrong with that!




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading