Wednesday, April 2, 2008

"King Kong" Revisited


There is a photo on the cover of this month's Vogue magazine of current basketball sensation, Lebron James, and the beautiful model Giselle. Being a basketball fan, I know that the snarl on Lebron's face is his "game face". The photo is innocent enough and it was taken by one of my favorite photographer's Annie Liebowitz.

Apparently, a section of Black America has been angered by this photo. I have heard that "once again a black man is shown as dangerous to White America." The most ludicrous thing I have heard to date is that this photo represents "King Kong" and Giselle is, I suppose, Fay Wray. If a white person had said these things I would be incensed but, these comments have come from my fellow African-Americans... SOME of my fellow African-Americans who are a bit too sensitive with too much time on their hands. To them I say, "Take a chill pill, it's not that deep... really it isn't". I am wondering if all this consternation is directed toward Lebron because he's posing with a white woman. If the woman was say, Tyra Banks, Beyonce, or Selita Ebanks, would anybody be saying anything?

I don't read Vogue magazine and I'm not a betting man... but, I'll bet that Lebron doesn't read the magazine either. He just took a picture with a model and got paid. I don't think he gave it another thought past that and I don't think Annie Liebowitz did either. There was NO SECRET AGENDA here... only the agenda that certain people made up. Come on, there are people who have real problems and you folks are wasting time and air on THIS? Give me a break. This was not worth the discussion.

2 comments:

ZACK said...

I won't say that he looks like King Kong, but there was a secret agenda. We live in a world of subtle racism. No offense, but during your time as a teenager- the world was more black and white in a literal sense.

Now, racism is done in such a supposedly harmless fashion that we don't realize its there. He does look like a big black athlete attacking a poor, helpless white woman. He does.

Anonymous said...

i agree with you 100% about this. Why cant out fellow black brothetlrs chill?




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading