Monday, July 25, 2011

Bye Bye Borders



Borders Bookstore chain is going out of business...They are closing up all of their stores and selling off everything... I feel especially bad because I have a history with their stores..

Whenever I had a day off from work...I would shower and shave, get dressed and head to Borders...There I would byt a couple of Newspapers and magazines and head upstairs to their lounge where I could buy Coffee,Orange Juice and a danish and sit and listen to my walkman at one time and later discman and just read at peace for hours...That was my spot.

I eventually began buying CD's and DVD's from there as well... I borrowed a Laptop computer and wrote many posts for this blog and "Escapades" right there in Borders...And at one location in particular, there was a friendly clerk who always alerted me when there was a new Walter Mosley novel or a new Zane or something that I might be interested in...









Now that era has ended...They want me to buy a Kindle and download the books now..I guess.  I already have that option on my android...I've already done that...It's not the same as holding a book in your hands and reading it from cover to cover...It will never be...I've even downloaded a book on my computer at home..Still not the same.

It was more than just the books or the coffee and danish or the magazines and what have you...It was the ambiance...The experience, the people...No Kindle or Android or Computer screen will ever duplicate that!

Some people say that huge chains like Borders and Barnes & Nobles put a lot of the smaller and independent bookstores out of business. They probably did....but Borders kind of tried to make up for that by creating a somewhat simular though larger like enviroment and experience for it's customers...At least the two that I frequented did....

As the sign says in their windows now of days...''Everything must go." I wonder what is next?

2 comments:

Cha Cha iz CaliSunKissed said...

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Keith...its your Cali friend Poca.... or aka Cha Cha depends on whose asking....Guess fancy seeing me here right...lol, le sigh! Im baaack! Missed ya!!

♥ CG ♥ said...

I hate to see Borders leave :-(




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading