Saturday, July 23, 2011

R.I.P. Amy Winehouse

Amy Winehouse (1983-2011)
                                                                     

Seems like I've been writing so many of these this year.... Phoebe Snow, Clarence Clemons....and now Amy Winehouse..


Amy Winehouse, the beehived soul-jazz diva whose self-destructive habits overshadowed a distinctive musical talent, was found dead Saturday in her London home, police said. She was 27.

"Everyone who was involved with Amy is shocked and devastated. Our thoughts are with her family and friends," said Chris Goodman, a spokesman for her publicity representatives. He said her family will issue a statement when they are ready.

The British singer's record label, Universal, confirmed her death earlier today.

"We are deeply saddened at the sudden loss of such a gifted musician, artist and performer," the statement read. "Our prayers go out to Amy's family, friends and fans at this difficult time."

Her father, Mitch Winehouse, himself a musician now, had just flown to New York to perform two shows at the Blue Note jazz club, but learned the news upon arrival and immediately flew back to the U.K.

Singer and actress Kelly Osbourne, who helped Winehouse check into a drug addiction treatment facility in 2008, was one of many who grieved for the singer on Twitter.

"I cant even breath right now im crying so hard i just lost 1 of my best friends. i love you forever Amy and will never forget the real you!" she tweeted.







I remember in 2008, right around the time I started writing this blog...People were telling me that "You gotta hear this white girl from the U.K.  she's got one of the hottest CD's out."  I bought her CD after only hearing her signature song...'Rehab" , Which sounds so ironic now...I immediately loved her...She had the right stuff.
Backed by Harlem based soul/funk band, The Fabulous Dap Kings...She unleashed an album of retro -Motown inspired soul...It was great...I was hungrily awaiting a follow up...

Despite her talent...all I seemed to hear from her after she won five Grammys was stories about her and her now ex-husband fighting fans, fighting police, fighting each other, getting drunk, getting high off coke, marijuana, getting busted and performing so drunk and high on stage that fans were booing her...

I can't say that I didn't honestly see a day like today coming....I thought she might somehow beat the odds...but, I don't want to crap on her memory anymore...She's gone now and perhaps her troubled soul is at last at peace...

She did leave us some great music though...Didn't she?



2 comments:

Sunflower said...

So Sad,Such a talent!

Grover Tha Playboy said...

I can't believe it...We are just losing so many greats.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading