Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Reality? Compared to What?

Okay. before I start ,let's get this straight....I don't like so called reality TV shows...None of them...Not one of them...I don't like them and I don't watch them...Not the least bit curious.... I once worked with someone who I think had the goal of being on one....Which was how I learned anything about the current crop. She watched everything from Real Housewives of Atlanta to Basketball Wives ....and would come in to work and talk with several other females about each charactor as though it was one of her girlfriends...someone she actually knew.

On her break, she would stream any shows she missed on her computer....Being two cubicles away...I could often hear the dsyfunction....but I digress....Comedian and Philadelphia native, Kevin Hart appeared on several radio shows hyping up his scripted reality show... The Real Husbands of Hollywood... He billed it as the "fakest reality show in history."  I thought...Wow..a reality show for someone like me who hates reality shows....What the hell, I'll give it a try...

The series is created by comedian Kevin Hart, and follows him and some other celebrities including: Boris Kodjoe, Duane Martin, J.B. Smoove, Nick Cannon and Robin Thicke. The series is  loosely based on the Real Housewives series; however this series is scripted. A sneak peek was shown as a segment during the 2011 BET Awards and the official promo was released in October 2012. Other special guests within the series are: Jay Leno, Ed O'Neill, Shaquille O'Neal, Nelly(who was in the pilot episode last night), Faizon Love, Common and Trey Songz.

 The series follows the daily lives of Boris Kodjoe, Duane Martin, J.B. Smoove, Kevin Hart, Nick Cannon and Robin Thicke as they adventure through their surreal life in Hollywood.

I wanted to like it...I really did...but I didn't find it particularly funny.....Not funny enough to watch it again...I'm sorry.... They even said that it was inspired by HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm in which Comedian Larry David and famous celebrities play exaggerated versions of themselves in a loosely scripted format. The show even features Curb Your Enthusiasm alum, comedian J.B. Smooth, who usually makes me laugh everytime he opens his mouth....Just wasn't workin last night.

See, Curb Your Enthusiasm is actually funny...I can watch episodes of that show over and over again...This show wasn't funny and didn't keep my interest long enough to keep me from drifting to sleep...Again to all you reality show fans out there..sorry.

I think I would fall asleep even on the ones that supposedly aren't scripted and are therefore...real.  Maybe I'm just biased and reality just aint my cup of tea...Maybe fantasy, at least on Television is better!

3 comments:

George S. said...

Totally Agree with you on this one.

Cheryl said...

I thought it was funny...Silly, but funny!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one Keith. I tried to like it; I tried real hard, but I couldn't. While I typically like Kevin Hart, I found him unfunny and rather annoying. I know the show is scripted, but damn! I've always found Boris Kojoe boring, likewise with Duane Martin and while JB Smmove was supposed to be funny, he too, was dull. Robin Thicke made no sense to me and he sounds funny when he speaks. Nick Cannon is Nick Cannon whom I can take or leave; however, the latter tends to reign. Nelly was amazing, though his presense didn't make much sense.

I did what I hadn't done in a LONG time and that as give BET some ratings, but that won't happen again. RHOH has been removed from my DVR.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading