Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Smart Case


I seem to remember some years back, Meta World Peace, when he was Ron Artest and played for The Indiana Pacers ...had some water or soda poured on him by an ignorant fan and he went after the fan...Something which started one of the biggest brawls in NBA history...He was fined and suspended...Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but not much happened to the fan who started the brawl...

When I go on the MSM and FOX Sports pages....I notice that there are a number of angry and jealous and hateful posters who turn every sports story into a race issue and who say some of the nastiest and most hateful things about the athletes who's salaries they feel as though they pay.

Most of these athletes happen to be African -American...although there are a few White athletes that get it too, to be fair...I suspect that most of these posters are guys who couldn't cut the mustard on a feild or a court when they were of playing age and probably don't cut the mustard with the ladies ,not then, not now and are working some job that they hate or not working at all...This fuels their hate, their rage and their jealousy...

Then you have the fan who feels because he paid and exorbant amount of cash to see an athlete..whether pro or college ...He can say anything he wants to this athlete and the athlete, who is still human can't say or do anything back.

The pros and the colleges treat the athletes as though this is so because whenever an athlete retaliates against such treat...The athlete is punished...The ignorant fan almost never is..Kind of unfair...

As is the case of Marcus Smart..suspended for three games for pushing an ignorant fan who he claims called him a nigger and a piece of crap!

II-
Marcus Smart, the Oklahoma State sophomore who shoved a Texas Tech fan in the final seconds of a game Saturday night, has been suspended for three games and he and the fan exchanged statements of apology.
“I want to apologize to the fan, whose name is Jeff Orr. I want to apologize to him. I want to apologize to my teammates, to my coaching staff, Coach [Travis] Ford, my family, Oklahoma State University,” Smart said in a brief news conference. “This is not how I [conduct] myself, this is not how this program is ran. This is not how I was raised. I let my emotions get the best of me."
“Just can’t let that happen again. This is a lesson I’ll have to learn from. The consequences that are coming with it, I’m taking full responsibility. No finger pointing. This is all upon me."

He is a far better man than I....I wouldn't have done it.  he probably was advised by the school to do it...because after all...College Basketball is big money.(For The school...not the athlete..another injustice...Another blog post for another time.)

Jeff Orr, the Tech super fan(ie-Stupid fan) who infuriated Smart by calling him a “piece of crap” as he stumbled into the crowd in Lubbock, agreed to attend no more Tech games for the rest of the season.
I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies to Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, Tubby Smith and the Texas Tech Men’s Basketball program,” Orr said in a statement (via ESPN). “My actions [Saturday] night were inappropriate and do not reflect myself or Texas Tech — a university I love dearly. I regret calling Mr. Smart a ‘piece of crap’ but I want to make it known that I did not use a racial slur of any kind. Additionally, I would like to offer my apologies to Texas Tech fans that have been embarrassed by the attention this incident has created.”

Everybody has made nice... Story over right? For now!

Some people take sports just a little too serious... It's a game and if you're a fan...you're not playing and you're not earning or losing a plug nickel, regardless of who wins the game..Unless of course you bet money and nobody does that, right?


1 comment:

Arlene said...

Oh-Oh-Oklahoma!! Jon, Lara and the kids have some crazy neighbors now! Since they moved I've read more "mess" coming from that state. Their senators and congress people are a major part of the offense against the president. These are some hard hearted/headed folk.

I said as a joke that Jon and Lara will have to run for public office. Let's get the nominating petitions!!




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading