Monday, October 27, 2008

Cell Phone Blues


Whatever did we do before the invention of the cell phone? I asked myself that this morning as I was driving around frantically trying to find my own. One of my co-workers has a Blackberry, a personal cell phone, and a TRIO provided by her job. I looked at her one day and said, "Dang, do you have enough communication gadgets?" She laughed as she packed her three toys in her pocketbook and said, "I have to have to have all three of these wherever I go. If I leave my house without one of them, it's like getting dressed and forgetting to put on my underwear." I laughed at that and remarked, "Is it really that serious?" She seemed to think so. Well, last night I discovered that it really is that serious.

If you read my last post, you know that I went to my cousin's engagement party in Maryland this weekend. My brother rented a cream-colored 2008 Ford 300 for the trip. I drove to Maryland and he drove back to Philly. We brought an extra person, my aunt, back with us. After my brother drove me to my car (which was parked in front of his house), my wife, my aunt, and I departed. I dropped my aunt off at her house and then, me and my wife went home. It was the end to a perfect day or so I thought...

As I walked in the house, I reached for my cell phone. I always check my messages when I get home because I have my phone on low or vibrate most of the time and I sometimes miss calls and messages. Guess what... my cell phone holder was there but, no cell phone. I thought, "Oh, it's on the porch somewhere." I used my wife's cell phone to call myself... nothing. I went out to my car with a flashlight and searched under the seats, in the trunk, etc. Nothing. I drove frantically around to my aunt's block thinking it was around there. Still nothing! Sadly, I came home.

You know what I did? I prayed. Yeah, God wants us to pray about everything, even the little stupid things we do that we feel we can handle and are too minor "to take up His time with." I sent up one of those "bullet prayers" that brother SLC talks about. Then, I called the lounge in Maryland. It was around 1:00am and there were still some people in the club cleaning up. They said that they hadn't found a cell phone.

I then called my brother and he looked in the car and didn't find it. I was beginning to think that I would have to go to my provider first thing in the morning and have them cancel my phone and get a new phone. I really didn't relish the hassle of having to do that plus, having to call all of my friends and ask them to e-mail me their phone numbers to load into my phone.

By now, it was about 2:00am so, do you know what I did? I sat down at my computer and started blogging. I went to "Escapades " and wrote the final two installments for my missing person's mystery, "Dead Man Walking" and "Love Is A Losing Game". It relaxed me and around 3:30am, I went to sleep. (What did we do before blogging?-lol)

All night long I thought about my cell phone and all of my phone numbers, unread text messages, and what have you. Obsessive-compulsive that I am, I got up at 8:00am, showered, put on some clothes, got in my car, and drove to my brother's house. And, there it was... my cell phone was lying in the grass in front of his house. He couldn't have seen it last night because it was dark and plus, it wasn't in the car, it was lying in the grass. Yes, God does answer prayers.

I wiped the morning dew off of it, called my wife to let her know that I had found it, and then proceeded to go and get some much needed coffee. What a fuss I made over a gadget... My friend didn't seem so funny now with her Trio, Blackberry, and cell phone fetish. Seems like it wasn't that long ago that the only way you could catch me was if I was at home or you saw me on the street. Times were so much simpler then...

(For Brother SLC, Sister Keisha "Kitten" Isaacs, Little Sis Shanita Waters, and Sister Stayce.)

20 comments:

12kyle said...

sounds like you were a whole lot calmer than i would have been if i had lost my blackberry. lmao!!!

SLC said...

First of all; are you sure that Ford 300 wasn't black? I have been late just because of a cell phone, and although I'm trying to save gas, I have gone home at lunch to get it just in case. I remember in college people always had calling cards (some not legally acquired)and I could always call Jersey collect, but right now I'm not sure I remember how. We used to ask for a quarter for a pay phone, not we just ask, "yo you gotta cell". About Escapades; this is my bullet prayer. Just let him live bro, just let him live.

Still Patrice said...

Lol I would have been in tears!!

The Dreamy One said...

i know how you feel. i thought i had lost my phone the other day and i was about to have a fit,lol

glad that things worked themselves out for you and you were able to get that phone back!!!

ok im going to catch up on the stories at Escapades!!

Anonymous said...

Keith,Been there, done that..Lost
and found my Blackberry last week.

Anonymous said...

Ditto Keith, I feel your pain.-lol.

Anonymous said...

I've never lost my cell phone..better knock on wood.-lol

Anonymous said...

I lost my cell phone once..I was in hysterics..I'm with 12Kyle..you
dealt with this a lot calmer than I would have.

Anonymous said...

I've never lost my Blackberry. I have all of my phone numbers downloaded on a website so that if I do lose it..My information can be retrieved.

Keith said...

@Sunflower- So do I...That's why I wasn't too worried..it's just that
you get used to one phone, then you gotta get another, get all the numbers downloaded into it, yada,yad,yada...lolololol.

Me said...

I was one of those people that just refused to even bother with a cell phone...silly, I know. I finally got one a few years ago and now I can't leave the house without it.

Anonymous said...

I need to get mine downloaded into
a service...All the women's numbers I got..something like that
would just sink me.

Jazzy said...

lol...glad that turned out to be a happy ending! I hate losing stuff.

I still think you're friend is a little much with THREE gadgets!

nikki said...

okay, i have to admit i was freaking out as i read this entry. i'm glad you found your phone. *WHEW*!

you might need to get a different holder though if it fell off into the grass.

i never thought i'd be so dependent upon my phone either. as i'm sitting here typing this, i'm glancing around my desk to make sure it's in plain sight. LOL

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Woo close one! The one cool thing I can say about my new phone is it backs up my phone book to my online account which is really nice thing to have, seeing as we don’t remember numbers anymore.

I often wonder what we did before all these leaps in technology. Did we really work before the internet, did we journal before blogging, be unavailable before cell phones I think the answer is yes. I don’t want to trade any of it, hell I don’t even want to remember what life usta be like.

The bullet prayers is something else.

-OG

Anonymous said...

I bout cried the other day when I thought I lost my blackberry. I got all nervous and my heart started beating faster.

LadyLee said...

Woo, woo, woo, Keith!

All I know, before cell phones, we use to spot a pay phone, find a quarter, and then get our butts out the car and go use it.

And now we are attached to our cell phones. Worst psychological mess I've ever seen. I am use to mine too, bruh. I feel your pain, bruh. Glad you found that sucka, though:)

Mizrepresent said...

Glad u found it...i don't know where i will be without mine!

Shanita Waters said...

Yes...I can definately understand how you felt about loosing your cell phone. It's like once you have one - it's hard to manage withuot one. I should have tried praying last year when my daughter accedenly threw my razor into the trash. 3 whole days without a cell phone...imagine that....

Keith said...

I knew that this was a post that would resonate with many people.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading