Sunday, November 8, 2009

Blue Is My City


Philadelphia is pretty funky right now and I don't mean that in a George Clinton, Parliament-Funkadelic sort of way. The Phillies have lost their bid for a second World Series win in a row so, there will be no parade this year. What's worse is that we are also in the middle of a transit strike right now.

There is no bus, trolley, or El train service. The streets are flooded with cars, bikers, skateboarders, and folks wearing sneakers for walking. You have to go to work... what are you to do? But, we are a resilient lot. The five-day strike by SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority, for those who don't live in Philly) transit workers is apparently not over. Gov. Ed Rendell announced he is pulling out of negotiations and said... "I have a state to run." He also threatened to pull $7 million in state funding off the table. (How could these guys turn down seven mill?)

Gov. Rendell called the failure to reach an agreement "just nuts" and said that "he had never seen anything like it in 32 years of government". He said the union had made new demands Saturday after a handshake agreement yesterday with U.S. Rep. Bob Brady (D-PA). The new demands included an independent audit of the SEPTA pension plan and a clause revisiting the health-care provision if Congress approves a better national health care plan. There was no immediate response from Transit Workers Local 234.

In my heart of hearts, I want to side with the union but, this is ridiculous! It looks to me like they got a pretty good offer from management... an offer that's better than what I have at my job. I'm really tired of driving amongst all of the new drivers who usually are on the buses, trollies, and El trains, which is causing me to get home an hour later than I normally would. I really would like to ride public transportation every once in awhile.

I know... selfish isn't it? I really do wish the Phillies had beaten the Yanks and I might feel a little better... everybody here might feel a little better. Even if they had to walk over the bridge to the parade. Blue is my mood, blue is my city

Peace!

Update (Monday, November 9, 2009): As of this writing, the SEPTA transit strike appears to be over, if only temporarily... my Eagles lost to the hated Dallas Cowboys last night... and the city still appears to be blue!

31 comments:

Jazzy said...

I like the way you put this down Fam!

James Perkins said...

Yes,it is a blue time!

Simon Bastion said...

Very nice mood peice..excellent read.

Toni said...

I do wish this transit strike would end.

Angie B. said...

I don't care about a parade, I want this damn strike to end.

Sunflower said...

You have brilliantly captured the mood of all of us here.

Tate2 said...

Man this strike is definitely making things hard for me. Good peice!

Swaggie said...

I feel you bruh on all of this..It sucks right now to be in Philly!

Grover Tha Playboy said...

I feel your pain...lolol.

Captain Jack said...

Oh this is just a mess!

Brenda said...

Wow Keith, you nailed it with this!

Sean said...

This is just plain excellent personal journalism brother. You did with just a few words at that.

Cheryl said...

If the Governor walks out on you, you must be pretty lame. Rendell said -"Look,I gotta state to run, I don't have time for this foolishness."

Vanessa said...

This sucks! Not your post Keith, just this situation.

Lisa said...

Good post Keith, you captured the mood of the city right now in a nutshell.

Halo said...

We are tough and we are resilient..This too will pass..Keep your head up Keith!

svrbrownsuga said...

Keith I am so sorry that this is happening...I was in college in Philly one time Septa went on strike..this is really rough 6 days? out of control...smh

tate2 said...

Strike is over Brother!

Swaggie said...

Apparently the buses are running again.

Jazzy said...

Hang in there Bruh, I think the Strike has finnally come to an end!

Angie B. said...

Yeah,that Eagle game sucked last night, but aat least the trains are running again.

Toni said...

It's gonna be alright Keith!

Cheryl said...

We'll be back! (The Eagles,The Phillies and Philadelphia.)

Brenda said...

In the words of a famous New Yorker-"Keep the faith baby"lolol.

Mizrepresent said...

HEy Keith, glad the strike is over and you can now ride public transportation.

Don said...

I was surprised Dallas beat Philly. But don't worry, the Saints will repay 'em.

The Phillies had a great year. I just think the Yanks were too strong this year.

Arlene said...

OMG, you could not possibly believe a word that comes from Gov. Rendell's mouth. Where did he get $7 million when our state had no budget for 100 days? If the state had that kind of money then why were cuts made across the board in education? Some reductions were more than 34%!! And that hack Bob Brady! Hrumph! You trust his mouth?? Why didn't "Rumplestilskin" just spin some straw into gold for the governor?? I'm with the union!! Gov. Ed says trust the SEPTA board, then when the dust settles and the money is not in place the word will just be "we're sorry." And those guys will just walk away. Do you remember Enron?? They said the workers' pensions were secure too. But the "good old boys" spent the funds, bequethed what remained to their spouses, and the workers had nothing.
TWU did right by their members and didn't roll over for a "fist full of dollars."

ShellyShell said...

I'm sorry to hear about the strike. Although it;s over now. I remember when NYC had the transit strike. I kept it right at home...lol! Well, Keith I bleed blue.....blue and white pinstripes baby! Sorry that my Yankees got in that Philly azz!
I'm from NEW YORK.............

E.M.H. said...

Like the post and how you tied the color in with various events. Glad the strike is over hopefully its easier for ppl to get from point A to B, especially in the cold weather :-)

12kyle said...

I made sure that I waited until my Yankees sealded the deal before I'd gloat.

But i won't b/c you're my boy. LOL

Don't be sold on that Dallas win. We've seen this movie before...

The F_Uitlist said...

Ugh Transit strikes are the WORST. The unions always want to more than they are entitled to and the Gov't doesn't want to budge.

NY's strike 4 years ago was a week and it was the dead of winter and I was pregnant. HATE Transit strikes




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading