Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wanna Talk About Love


I had a fourth grade teacher (no this is not another funny story)... I had a fourth grade teacher, an elderly black woman who was about to retire who asked us, "Who is the first person we should learn to love?" We gave an assortment of answers... some said, "Mommy"... some said, "Daddy"... and a few said "God". This shows you how much kids (and later on, adults) don't listen. Of course, while we all should love an honor God, that's not what the teacher asked us. She asked us who was the first person we should learn to love? We were stumped. Then, she said..."You should first learn to love yourselves".

It was funny to me then (and even funnier now) that not one of us thought of the most practical answer... ourselves. That was probably the single most important lesson I was taught in a school. And, there is no more to this story than that. She said we should first love ourselves. A truly radical idea was hatched around that time, when black people were starting to say... "Black is Beautiful!"

As a race of people, we hadn't felt too good about ourselves our entire time in America. Everyday, I look at people in the streets and not just Black people... all races of people. I hear people on the radio, see people on television, read some people's blogs, and see blatant examples of folks who've never learned that lesson and folks who actually hate themselves... loathe themselves. They don't consciously know it but their every action, their every sentence... speaks of self-loathing. Self-loathing is as American as mom's apple pie.

Plastic Surgeons are in a whole 'nother tax bracket because American advertising inadvertently tells you (the consumer) that you're not quite adequate if you are not driving the new 2010 Ford Fusion, if you're not rocking a certain article of clothing by a certain designer, if your lips are too small (and it used to be, if they were too big), if you're not a perfect size, whatever. Get my drift?

We trip on celebrities... worship 'em and try to dress like 'em, act like 'em, and run our lives the way we think they would do it because heaven knows we can't come up with an original thought or two can we? Then, there are those who like to see some famous person fall or get knocked down a peg or two because it reminds us that our own miserable life (as we see it) isn't quite as bad as theirs is. I was both of those people at one time. I know... I stand guilty as charged. Self- loathing affects us all. It's part of our culture... sometimes, we just can't help it.

A little self-love would probably put a lot of manufacturers out of business because they have to make you feel small in order to sell you their wares. A little self-love, a little self-esteem would have prevented that horrible before and after photo from yesterday's post of Sammy Sosa. A little self-love and Michael Jackson might still be amongst the living today. I was thinking about both of them when I decided to write this tonight.

See, I wasn't going to blog about anything tonight. I was going to take the night off from this blog and just when I tried to get out, this kept pulling at me and I had to say something. After all, this "is" whatever is on my mind at the time and I hope everyone got my point. Give yourself a break, love yourself, and appreciate who you are. I mean, who else do you have?

In the words of Humphrey Bogart... "Looks like we're stuck with each other kiddo."

22 comments:

Arlene said...

There is no "night off" for a writer. Words come to you and you share them. True words, too! I could preach a little on the subject of love. You have done so well; what else can be said?

James Perkins said...

Preach!

Simon Bastion said...

Well Written!

Grover Tha Playboy said...

True Dat!

Toni said...

Keith,I loved this.

Angie B. said...

Wow Keith,you on some new ish this week!

Sunflower said...

Keith ,This was beautiful!

Brenda said...

This was so you....I loved it though!

Cheryl said...

Nice!

Sean said...

You're still doing the damn thing on both of your blogs...

Captain Jack said...

This was very poignant!

Jazzy said...

I agree with all of this fam!

Swaggie said...

You always surprise...It's never the same type of post with you.

Tate 2 said...

Nicely done man!

Lisa said...

I originally thought this was about romantic love, but you surprised me with this one..Good post just the same.

Halo said...

Loved this Keith!

Vanessa said...

Big Ups to you Keith..That's what we need a little more self love.

Mizrepresent said...

No truer words have been spoken, thanks for sharing.

Don said...

Wise words being spoken. Indeed. I remember my daughter telling me that she stood up in class and revealed how I was the first person she ever loved. I will make sure I forward this email to her.

Thanks for sharing. Always informative subjects ever time I stop by.

Solomon said...

If everyone had a little self love there wouldn't be all the problems that there are in the world.

Good post Keith!

E.M.H. said...

LOVE this post just like most of your posts....it's the truth. Love yourself, appreciate your gifts and talents, enjoy yourself....you can't love someone else or give yourself when you haven't experienced it firsthand!!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.



KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading