Thursday, November 5, 2009

What A Difference A Year Makes


I went to the polls on Tuesday night to vote after work. I would have gone in the morning but, I was more concerned with navigating through heavy traffic and getting to work. We are currently in the midst of a transit strike here in the "City of Brotherly Love".

It is almost a year to the day that we elected Barack Obama President of the United States. Oh, how different the mood was this time last year. The lines were out both doors of the middle school where I go to vote, down the street, and around both corners. Hot coffee and donuts were being served by elderly black ladies, along with young energetic white students from a nearby university who had volunteered their time. There was a spark of magic and electricity in the air like history was in the making... and, it was! I felt a warmness... a feeling of family and oneness like I'd never felt before. Now, flash forward to two days ago...

There was no lines, only six people were ahead of me, no donuts, no coffee (it was seven o'clock at night), and not one white person in sight. This was an all black affair of the six people and I'm certain that I was the youngest one in the room... which is sad because I would've liked to have seen the young people I saw last year. I was in and out just like that and then, onward to the next thing... getting my car "winterized" and tires rotated the next day.

I could tell you more about that than who I voted for. Yeah, I could tell you that I helped elect this city's first African-American District Attorney and that somehow, that should have been a monumental event. But, 51% of this city's population is African-American and he won despite the fact that only about 30% of that demographic turned out to vote yesterday. I also voted for a couple of judges that I know absolutely nothing about, except what I saw in the commercials. Hopefully, I won't have to come before one of these judges but if I do and the name rings a bell, maybe I can whisper... "Hey, I voted for you, ya know." (wink-wink) and see how far that will get me.

I'll chalk up yesterday's low turnout to the fact that it was a pretty un-important election to most people's way of thinking... just a few judges and a D.A. I'm not going to get up on a soapbox this time but I'm going to say (as I'm sure I've said before) that it's the little things that one day will become big things. A judge or a D.A. might not seem important now but, if you're ever unlucky enough to come before one, it becomes a very important thing. A bad judge can be the difference between you reading this blog in a nice comfortable cyber cafe or you being sure not to drop the soap in a mass shower with Big Ed at the State Penn.

I might not have known who I was voting for yesterday but, at least I voted for somebody. And, if I have to ask one day... "Who put this clown on the bench?" I'll know that it was me. -:)

20 comments:

Rich Fitzgerald said...

Last years party is definitely over.

SLC said...

I voted unconsciously on Tuesday as well. I was aware of some of the candidates but not all.

You know what's sad/funny?

Someone that voted just like me, voted for that judge that would not marry interracial couples. I pray I didn't do that Tuesday.

SLC said...

.........but at least I voted.

Arlene said...

Hey Cuz, I read this post yesterday but I didn't have the time to comment. This SEPTA strike has me running. I'm covering classes for collegues who can't (or won't) get to work.
I voted too. But I voted against every judge up for retention and tried to vote against the party line, with the exception of DA, Seth Williams who shares my beliefs in fundamental areas. I'm sick of political hacks. In my mind they have made the heart of America hard again after all that was done last year to soften her, inspire hope for our country and improve the treatment of "the least of these." I think people should serve out of civic responsibility not as a career.

Toni said...

A year does make a big difference in just about everything.

Angie B. said...

I voted and I noticed the same things..Apathy and less people.

Sunflower said...

Let's just face it...This wasn't a major election...but I get your point, equal attention should have been paid to it.

Brenda said...

I voted, didn't know any of those judges either, but I did vote.

Cheryl said...

I voted Tuesday...I almost didn't make it...but I did it.

Lisa said...

I was like SLC, Voting, but voting
"unconsciously" on Tuesday.

Halo said...

You are right,it was definitely a different vibe last year. More was at stake.

Vanessa said...

I voted Tuesday...Only because I followed Seth William's campaign.
I didn't know who those judges were
either.

James Perkins said...

People get whipped up into emotional voting one year and then the next year like a knee jerk reaction the next year they are apathetic..Just human nature.

Simon Bastion said...

I guess the good feeling from last year is over!

Grover Tha Playboy said...

I didn't vote Tuesday...I know I should have..but I didn't..I'll do better in May.

Sean said...

Another Good Post Keith!

Tate2 said...

I voted Tuesday...I'm very upset that in Jersey,Corizine lost to Chris Christie!

Swaggie said...

I'm not apathetic, but I didn't vote on Tuesday..I knew nothing about any of the candidates.

Jazzy said...

I voted early on Tuesday..I did a little research on some of the Judges for what that was worth.

Captain Jack said...

Forgive me Keith,I forgot to vote on Tuesday!




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading