Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Marissa!



I'll bet you don't know who this is do you? (No it's not one of my charactors from my other blog ,ESCAPADES, though she very well could be...This is Marissa Alexander...a Black woman who used the "Stand Your Ground " Law...The same law that George Zimmerman used as his defense for killing Trayvon Martin...Unfortunately for her...She did not get acquitted and is serving a 20 year sentence in this same state of Florida...Tell me how messed up that is....And get this...She didn't kill anyone!!! Didn't wound anyone...Just fired a gun...

What is it about the state of Florida??? My fellow blogger the Field Negro says and I quote-" Florida. A state full of conservative backwards thinking legislatures who pass laws out of fear and not common sense. Laws that embolden men who look like they do to act in unspeakable ways."

So let me get back to Ms. Marissa Alexander... In April 2010, Marissa Alexander, then 29, fired a warning shot to stop her abusive husband. She was a battered wife and he was coming towards again, fully intending to do her harm. She was frail at the time, having just given birth days earlier. Alexander did not fire the shot directly at her husband. The bullet ended up in the ceiling and no one was hurt. Her abusive husband even claimed he meant to 'lay hands on her' and that she did the right thing in trying to stop him. Yet, Marissa Alexander was arrested and is now serving a 20-year prison sentence. Can you believe that??

While George Zimmerman walked free a few days ago...Unbelievable!!!!

Marissa Alexander's story resurfaced because it was a Stand Your Ground kind of case, as was brought up in the George  Zimmerman case. Many protests by the public and by activists took place in Florida during Marissa Alexander's trial, and after, but were to no avail.

Now, thanks to the Zimmerman case, there is renewed attention and hope for Marissa Alexander. A group of attorneys have come together to appeal for a another trial, along with a new petition, which is gaining momentum.

It's important Marissa Alexander is released immediately for more than one reason. One would be the obvious - She is innocent and deserves to be free. Two,She was unjustly incarcerated for defending her own life. The other reason we need to see her released immediately, is because Americans are fed up and disillusioned  with the corrupt and unjust legal system in Florida and all over the country. We need to find some respite - some sense that America is still a democracy, made up of basically good people who will stand up for their rights, and the rights of others. I need to know this for my own personal peace of mind.

I heard about her case as far back as last March when the Trayvon Martin case came to light...And now, people are talking about her again... Here is a letter she wrote recently from prison-

Hello Everyone,


I want to thank each and every one of you for writing me, praying for me or even thinking of me in your heart and are continuing to do so. For the most part, I’m hanging in there, as well as one could in this environment. Prison is definitely NOT what’s happening. It’s dreadful here, but hey, it’s supposed to be, it is after all captivity.


My good days out weigh my bad days only because God is my source of strength. Please know that you all inspire me thru your communication and please know that the prayers that you offer up on my behalf are being answered. I’m so very blessed to have some of the most extraordinary people and organizations who are committed to supporting and encouraging me in every way. I will continue to believe in our justice system. I choose to do so because I have complete trust in God, and we are still a nation that has this fundamental belief embedded in our core, displayed in our courtrooms and written on our money, and more hopefully in our hearts.


Truly I couldn’t begin to express to you how much I appreciate your wonderful letters of encouragement. Please know that I do not take your time and kindness for granted. Your heart-felt concern I am most grateful for.


With all sincerity & respect,


Marissa Alexander

She is a real person, a woman, A Black woman, a victim of Florida injustice...Write letters to your represenatives and your congressmen and senators...Write that bald headed freak of a governor in Florida named Rick Scott...Demand justice for Marissa Alexander...Just like we did for the slain Trayvon...Just like we did for Angela Davis back in the 70's....She must be freed...Here is a chance to stop an injustice...while the victim is still breathing in and out!

2 comments:

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...


I never heard of this case until the Trayvon Martin case was close to closing arguments. I wonder how many countless others we will never hear about and it sickens me. There is a petition for Marissa on Facebook that you can sign.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading