Monday, March 3, 2014

And The Oscar Goes To.....

I must admit that of all of the award shows on television at the present time....The Oscars still get my adreneline pumping....I sit sit in front of the television like the fan boy that I am and wait with baited breath for someone in a tux and or a gown to announce ....''And the Oscar goes to......"

I was angry when Diana Ross didn't get it for "Lady Sings the Blues" in 1972...Angry still when Dianne Carroll didn't get it for Claudine and when year after year talented African American and Latino performers and movies were ignored by the Oscars...with the exception of Butterfly Mcqueen who won 20 years before I was born and Mr. Sidney Poitier who won win I was six years old and not yet watching the Oscars or anything that wasn't produced by Walt Disney or Hanna-Barbera.

Then in the late 80's something happened....It started with Lou Gossett and went on to include, Whoopi Goldberg, Denzel Washington, Cuba Gooding Jr. , Morgan Freeman, Forrest Whitaker, Jamie Foxx,Jennifer Hudson, Halle Berry and now includes the beautiful Lupita Nyong'o...We started winning Oscars....
Not only did she win...but the Brother who adapted the screenplay,John Ridley won for best adapted screenplay...(12 years a Slave)captured a statue too!
I'm happy that they won and I'm ecstatic that 12 Years a Slave , a movie directed by Steve Mcqueen....(Not the late action movie star, but Black British Director) won for movie of the year....
So I'll close by asking this.....Enough with the slave movies Hollywood....I know I should be grateful for the big wins last night and I truly am...But I'd like to see a moving picture about Black survivors, Black Heroes...Black people who win in the present day....Not see Black victims anymore...Hollywood likes to congratulate itself ever so often when a "Black" film like the" Help" or "Misisisippi Burning" or "12 Years a Slave" wins big...but how about "The Butler"...a piece of contemporary history and extroidinary film that got completely overlooked by Oscar???

I'm just saying...Oscar...you're getting better...but the room for improvemant is never filled!


No comments:




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading