Monday, March 15, 2010

Weekend Update


There is an old saying that when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I always try to live by that saying. So, during my first free weekend in ages in which I wasn't supposed to be anywhere, didn't have anything to do, and no mountains of snow anywhere in sight to further discourage or depress me, what does it do? It rains and boy, oh boy, oh boy, did it rain! And, the wind was blowing something crazy! From inside my house, it sounded much worse than it actually was.

I remembered that this was the Saturday I set aside to have my oil changed and my car inspected so actually, I did have something to do and someplace to go. If it had been a sunny day, I was going to get up, get out early, have a nice relaxing breakfast, and drive to my dealership in the nearby suburbs and have my car inspected. Instead, I turned back over and continued sleeping until about quarter-to-ten and realized... "I've got to be there in an hour!" This was one of those "Awwww, s^%&!" moments I often talk about.

I showered, shaved, brushed, and then got dressed. I didn't have time to have a relaxing breakfast or pack some cool CD's for the car. I just grabbed the ZANE novel I had been reading and had promised to finish for close to two months and hopped in my ride and headed out to my
dealership.

Let me tell you, I absolutely love my dealership. It's super clean, they have comfortable couches and seating in the back, it's Wifi-compatible, and they have 3 or 4 TV monitors in the lounge area. One monitor had CNN, another had ESPN, yet another had VH-1 (or MTV), and still another is showing an old classic black and white movie. If you're having your car inspected or worked on, there is an endless pot of hot coffee and tumblers awaiting you.

I sat back and got into my book, while sipping on coffee and an orange juice I had purchased from the vending machine. I got so engrossed in the novel that I never realized how much time had gone by. The manager of the spot, the one who had sold me my car last year, tapped me on the shoulder.

"Hey, I've just seen your next car," he said with a smile. He and I have become somewhat friendly since he sold me my car last year. I stopped by there to get a credit card a few months later and some months after that, to get some minor maintenance done on my car. So, hearing him say that he's just seen my next car was no surprise. He always says that, plus he's a
salesman... that's his job.

We walked out on the showroom and he showed me what just might be my next car... Lord willing, bank account willing. It was two cars, really... a gray 2010 Altima and a jet black 2010 Maxima. Both had gorgeous leather interior and naturally, were sparkling and shiny... the way my car looked to me last year when I was seeing it for the first time.

"Listen, you wanna test drive it?" He said. "What?, In this weather? Are you sure?" I said. "Ahhh, what's a little bit of rain?" he said. He tossed me the keys and pointed to the black 2010 Maxima on the lot in front of us. They had my registration, proof of insurance, and my car keys in their possesion, so it's not like I could run off with anything. They knew where to find me and since I've become like a fixture around there, I said to myself, why not? Boy did that car drive smooth... just like mine appeared to drive last year when I test drove it. (Anything always seems better than what you have.)

I drove the car about two counties down and then brought it back. It had a port for an I-Pod in it and whoever owned the IPod had some cool sounds on the playlist... Steely Dan, Breakwater, Sade, Anthony Hamilton, Jill Scott, Maxwell, Coldplay, etc. I was impressed with the music and the car!

I brought the car back, returned the keys, and told the manager in all seriousness that he might be right... that either the Maxima or Altima might just be my next car. Unfortunately he didn't have the Altima available for me to test drive at the moment. It was lunchtime and I walked across the street and got myself an Italian combo sandwich on the best home baked bread you have ever tasted and a Mediterranean Salmon Salad for my wife.

By the time I finished my sandwich and returned to the dealership, the car inspection and oil change were done and my car was ready to roll again for at least another year. All of this took place in little under three hours. I got back in my car, drove off of the lot, and headed home. Not bad for a Saturday in which the city was buffeted by a potentially fun-ending noreaster.

17 comments:

Toni said...

Sounds Like you had a pretty cool weekend Keith!

Angie B. said...

Since We go to the same dealorship...I have to concur..It is the bomb!

Sunflower said...

What a nice way to enjoy a rainy day!

Brenda said...

I like your theory on life...I like what you did...

Cheryl said...

Keith, That's what's up!Glad you enjoyed your Saturday.

James Perkins said...

I slept through all of that rain.

Lisa said...

Glad you enjoyed your weekend Keith!

Halo said...

Sounds Like you had fun...That's what's up.

Vanessa said...

Can't believe you went out in all that rain. I was supposed to have my car inspected too.. I decided to wait until next week..Glad you had a nice time though.

Jazzy said...

That's what's up fam!

Swaggie said...

Sounds like a winner fam!

Grover Tha Playboy said...

Kool! I can think of a few other things to do on a rainy day (wink-wink) but your activity was equally cool.LOL

Tate 2 said...

Sounds like a winner bruh! Glad you made the best of it.

Simon Bastion said...

I like your theory on living life to the fullest.

Sean said...

This was written like a man who has learned a lot and is wiser over the years.

Captain Jack said...

Where is this dealorship? I need to go to your place. The mechanics that work on my car have a smelly old office and a beat up old radio. They have a ratty old couch that needs to be put on the trash.

Arlene said...

Keith,
My old Altima is just about on "life support." I've seen the 2010 Maxima and Altima, but the one that floats my boat is the F series Mercedes. It's gorgeous. I'll even call it sexy (if a car can be!) The cost is another matter. I'd have to live in it fulltime because if I pruchased it I couldn't afford PGW and PECO.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading