Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sympathy For Donnie Mack


If I lived in Detroit and I had a football team that consistantly could be counted on to win one game in a sixteen game season, I'd appreciate a quarterback who could elevate my team to five NFC championship games right? Say this quarterback took my team to a Super Bowl? Damn, if we won or not... we went there! To cap my argument, say that this quarterback and his football team finishes in the top two or at least third seed every year that he's been here and the team can be counted on to make the playoffs every year, wouldn't you love him? Wouldn't you make him untouchable? The Answer is a big "Yes!" So, how come Philadelphia fans can't show Donovan McNabb some love?

I had an argument with someone who is not a football fan but followed the party line of saying that it is time for McNabb to go. I pointed out to this person all of McNabb's positives... playoffs every year, division titles, conference championship appearences, and Super Bowl appearences. And, not to mention his stats, which are right up there with Brady, Manning, and Farve. But this person wasn't hearing it. They kept saying that McNabb had to go. I asked them why and they couldn't give me a reason (not one that made any sense). They just insisted that he had to go.

Philadelphia fans can be the most fickle and unforgiving (not to mention embarrassing) fans on the face of the earth. They make me ashamed sometimes to say I'm one of them. There is some goofy sportscaster that still brings up the 1969 incident when Philly fans threw snowballs at Santa Claus during an Eagles loss. (I was at that game. I was about 11 years old and traumatized!) The Eagles used to lose a lot back then and Philly fans forget that. They need to talk to fans in Detroit, who would rejoice if their team could win five or six games in a season.

Under Donovan McNabb, we have been guarunteed at least eleven win seasons every year. Wanna go back to four win seasons? I asked this person I was arguing with about McNabb, who would we get in return for McNabb? You know, of equal value? And, of course, they couldn't tell me. We have Michael Vick and we have a good young back-up quarterback in Kevin Kolb, but a Donovan McNabb only comes around once in a blue moon, so I say stick with him. He's a free agent after this season is over anyway

The Eagles have already traded away fan favorites, Westbrook and Dawkins. If they trade McNabb now, can they live with several seasons of Detroit Lion-like records? I'm betting we here in Philly can't do it!

3 comments:

Don said...

Donovan McNabb has been very successful as an Eagles QB. I believe your assessment of Philly fans may be correct. I have not only witnessed their 180-degree turn in pro football over the years, but in other Philadelphia sports as well.

I guess most Philly fans are just looking for change, and feel they will receive only more of the same with McNabb as QB.

I personally feel Donovan is a better and more experienced quarterback than Vick.

Mizrepresent said...

I don't understand the whole "we want him to go thing". If he is indeed doing his job on the field then what is the explanation for wanting him to move on?

♥ CG ♥ said...

Could be worse...you could be a Redskins fan...lol!

Dang, it just dawned on me...did I miss your birthday? Hope not, but happy belated if I did *hanging head in shame*




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading