Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Coming Of The iPAD


Okay, this is a "Keith does a post that is finally not about sports" day. Today, a new gadget was released to the public that (they say) will revolutionize reading. It's called the iPAD. In the past few weeks, I've seen demonstrations for the Kindle, the Nook, and the Sony Reader. So now, I breathlessly await this new gadget but, I'm not alarmed.

One day soon, my friends will be reading "Keith's Space", "Escapades", and maybe my first novel on one of these new items. I may be sitting in my living room reading the next Walter Mosley novel on it, while navigating back and forth to my Facebook page. Who knows?

While every other attempt to make a popular flat computer has fallen (eh, flat), even conservative estimates predict millions of iPads will be sold this year alone. But, because there are few precedents with tablets, almost no one has any experience with how everyday consumers will use a thin slab of glass and aluminum that happens to be a blisteringly fast computer. After seeing demonstrations of the iPad for the last week or so, I'm clear that one area that will be transformed is reading.

The Amazon Kindle, as Steve Jobs acknowledged when announcing the iPad, began the revolution of electronic books. But, where Amazon went to great lengths to replicate the best of the traditional print reading experience, Apple has opted for a device that more closely resembles a small, flat-panel TV. When reading a novel or "Keith's Space" (shameless plug). the differences aren't dramatic. The Kindle is lighter and easier to hold with one hand. The iPad, on the other hand, has beautiful visual effects for turning pages. Books with illustrations, like Dr. Seuss (for instance), shine on the iPad's stunning color screen, but still only hint at the full potential of marrying a high-powered microchip with the oldest mass medium.

Am I excited? Well, uh...YEAH! I love new technology that actually makes life easier and interesting. This may even inspire more kids to read and check out great literature. Okay, probably not, unless Shakesphere and Chaucer can be illustrated and animated (which I see no reason, why they can't be).

Look what Blogger, Facebook, and Twitter have already done! This is one future I can look into with excitement and positivity, rather than dread.

3 comments:

LadyLee said...

I think I'll wait around for version 2 to come out, lol...

Arlene said...

I'm glad you like this new technology. I must say that I prefer holding a book in my hand and turning the pages myself. There's something tactile and sensual about that. Plus I use the computer everyday at work and I'm glad when I don't have to wrestle with technology.

P.S. Are you getting an iPad? Can I come over and see you play with it? (lol)

Mizrepresent said...

I am one to never buy the 1st version...so i'll wait. My only problem with the ipad, is i just can't stand seeing my fingerprints all over my screen, this is what bugs me about the iphone. lol, just my pet peeve, and my love of books won't let me enjoy the Kindle either. Maybe i need to challenge Amazon to make me like it by sending me a free one!




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading