Monday, April 5, 2010

Play Ball


Before I start, let me tip my hat to fellow bloggers, Carey-Carey, Shelly Shell, SLC, and 12Kyle. They all pontificated about how superior the New York Yankees were to my Philadelphia Phillies last year during the world series. Of course, being a native Philadelphian and a sports fan in a town where my heart has been broken many times, I couldn't go for it or feel them.

Truth be told, I didn't want to feel them or any other Yankees fan or sportscaster. My Phillies were the defending World Series champions and here they were back in the World Series for the second year in a row and I just could not see them losing to anybody, history be damned.

But they did! Those three words say it all. The New York Yankees were the better team last year, just like Carey Carey, SLC, 12Kyle, and the only New Yorker of that bunch, Shelly Shell, said they were and they beat my Phillies. I bow my head to them for their foresight! That being said, that was last year and this is this year.

I am not going to make any predictions... not yet. For all I know, neither the Phillies or the Yankees will wind up in the World Series this year. It might be two teams that nobody is even thinking about right now. Who knows? All I can really say is, I have two baseball jerseys that I will be wearing when I'm hanging out this summer. One is my red and white striped Phillies jersey and the other is a black and gold striped Yankees jersey (my favorite). I couldn't wear it at all last summer because... well, you know!

The Phillies have a hot new pitcher in their bullpen this year. They may win a lot of games and the Yanks... well, they've got the money and the brain trust to bring in whoever they need, so I expect them to be a threat. But the beautiful thing is, baseball season has begun and the sport my grandfather taught me to love years ago is about to kick in gear. That also means that it's springtime. Can summer be too far behind?

4 comments:

CareyCarey said...

Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard solid thinking. There's an almost unniversal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some men more than having to think -- Martin Luther King

Keep on knockin' but you can't come in, come back tomorrow night and try it again -- Little Richard

To the victor goes the spoils -- Some Fat Roman

Keith, you're a good man, but don't make you move too soon, think about it. Donavan put Philly in the rear-view mirror, so can you - CareyCarey :-)

SLC said...

"Comments are always welcome here at Keith's Space but, I ask that you be respectful of others and choose your words carefully. Thank you!" -- Keith A. Martin

I'll return to this post in September. The Phillies are young, the Yankees, not so young, so it's too soon to predict.

But being from Jersey, I'm sticking with the Yankees and the Mets.

See ya in the fall.

Arlene said...

Happy Spring! I love ball too. I'm taking the grandson to the park to play with his little ball "thing." You place the ball on a stand and the child (or grandmother) hits the ball with a plastic bat and runs like crazy around the park. We love it! Perhaps this will begin a love for the big boys game.
P.S. I'm not sure the Eagles did the right thing with McNabe. I'm looking forward to reading your valued opinion. Happy Easter!!!

Don said...

Well, at least your favorite baseball team actually made it to The World Series. I'm a Cubs fan, diehard Cubs fan since '84, so you already know what this amounts to.

Hope, destroyed.

Actually I am still smartin' over the impossible playoff loss Philly handed us a few years back when Chicago were NL favorites.

Remember that series? Of course you do.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading