Thursday, April 29, 2010

What The Hell?


I first heard about this from the feeds on Facebook because a number of my FB friends were talking about it. Just when I think human behavior can't get any worse or people can't have anymore gaul, I read this...

Miami Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland issued a public apology to Dallas Cowboys wide-receiver Dez Bryant on Tuesday in response to Bryant's recent revelation that a "high-level executive" from an NFL team asked him during a pre-draft interview if his mother was a prostitute.

What gauls me the most is that Ireland had the nerve to try and somewhat justify asking an insensitive question like this. "My job is to find out as much information as possible about a player that I’m considering drafting," Ireland said. "Sometimes that leads to asking in-depth questions. Having said that, I talked to Dez Bryant and told him I used poor judgment in one of the questions I asked him. I certainly meant no disrespect and apologized to him."

Poor Judgement? Poor Judgement? In the world I come from, his dentist would be in a new tax bracket if he had asked me a question like that, whether it was true or not. With his statement, Ireland confirmed that he was the one who asked the question. Ireland asked the question during an April 1-2 visit with the Dolphins as part of a two-week trip in which the former Oklahoma State receiver reportedly visited 11 teams before the NFL Draft.

"They asked me if my mom’s a prostitute," Bryant told Yahoo.com. "No, my mom is not a prostitute. I got mad -- really mad -- but I didn’t show it. I got a lot of questions like that: Does she still do drugs? I sat and answered all of them." According to sources, Bryant’s mother, Angela, had him when she was 15 years old and conceived his younger sister and brother within the next 3 years. She reportedly sold drugs and served a prison term while Bryant was a child. Bryant lived with different relatives and family friends at various times during his upbringing.

It's like I've asked before... When did everyone in America become Gladys Kravitz (the newsy neighbor on the old sitcom Bewitched who was always looking in Darin and Samantha's window to see what was going on). I know some politicians who's lives aren't that well scrutinized. He's playing football... he's not running for office. My God!

This isn't the first time the Dolphins have been cited as insensitive, to say the least, while Ireland has been with this team. Pro-Bowl linebacker Zach Thomas described his unceremonious exit after Miami waived him.

"The only thing that was like a punch in the gut to me was the day I was cleaning out my locker, the day they cut me, Drew Rosenhaus asked them if I could just say thanks to the fans through the media at the Dolphins facility and their anser was, ''No, he's not a Dolphins player anymore, he's got to do it off premises." Thomas said, according to the Miami Herald. "That's when you know, like, ''Wow, the whole loyalty and everything they preach with team and things like that goes out the window."

Dez Bryant, a star at Oklahoma State, was ruled ineligible by the NCAA last season for having contact with an agent. That "agent" in question was former NFL superstar Deion Sanders. Dez Bryant, who was widely considered the best wide-receiver in the draft (though he was the second WR taken), dropped to No. 24, when the Cowboys traded up to get him.

Incredible. Just Incredible. Once again, the bad behavior of people has gone to all time low!

6 comments:

James Perkins said...

I read about this...It's a disgrace!

Simon Bastion said...

Why aren't you writing for a major newspaper Keith? You're up on all of the hot button issues!

Grover Tha Playboy said...

What they did to him was just foul!

LadyLee said...

That is CRAZY. Sigh

Arlene said...

Yes, this is a disgrace. But what's worse is that this behavior is promoted by the NFL under the guise of promoting football as an elite all-American sport. We're supposed to idolize people chasing a ball and knocking each other down, hard. We pay "big" bucks to big "bucks" for their physical endowments and we want them to be perfect people. Keeping the reins tight on who can enter the club allows for control of who gets what and moves where. The idea that any interview question is acceptable only promotes the power structure.

@Simon, I like your idea of Keith writing for a news source. (Just not here in Philly. Our papers were sold yesterday to their creditors!!) I think the Huffington Post is the site for him.

Don said...

I think Dallas got a steal with Bryant. If he can find his way. Pretty sure he will experience troubles along the way but don't we all at such a young age.

That was truly poor judgement to ask the man that concerning his mother. And Zach Thomas pretty much summed up the 'other side' (business side) of professional sports.


Enjoyed the read.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading