Tuesday, June 24, 2008

R.I.P. George Carlin (1937-2008)


Comedian George Carlin died yesterday. I will miss his fearlessness and his edge. He not only said things that made you think, he was funny on top of it. I was introduced to him in the mid-70's when I was still in high school. He represented all of the naughty subversiveness that I was embracing at that time. He caused me to question everything around me and like Richard Pryor, challenged me to think beyond the laughter. If I was laughing at all, it was because what he was saying was so true. I'll quote Stephen Winn of the San Francisco Chronicle who wrote:

"Carlin never lost his ability to simultaneously startle, provoke thought, and charm audiences across the spectrum. He never got stale or simply repackaged old ideas in new wrapping. My parents weren't alone in feeling thrown back on their heels. Even listeners much younger than him could feel challenged to keep up with Carlin's febrile, high-velocity humor."

Indeed, he will be missed.

2 comments:

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Man I remember illegally watching Carlin and Pryor two of my faves. My father loved him. He will be missed for sure!!

-OG

ZACK said...

To me, Carlin wasn't that funny. In fact, he was just as racist as Imus.

He didn't deserve to be considered in the same league as Pryor, Burns, or Dangerfield. But I guess he broke down barriers for vulgar comics. So, let's pat him on the back for that.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading