Sunday, June 29, 2008

Who Is David Wilson?


I saw an extraordinary program last night on MSNBC. It was called, "Meeting David Wilson". I was channel surfing and had just seen the 100th documentary on Charles Manson. (What does the media find so fascinating about him? He's nothing more than a pimp, who used drugs to get some young, spoiled girls and a male lackey to do his bidding.) Anyway, the title caught my attention... "Meeting David Wilson". My question was, "Who is David Wilson? Should I know him?"

David Wilson is a 28 year old black journalist and TV producer who did some awesome research that led him to meet and befriend a 62 year old white man from North Carolina, also named David Wilson. The white David Wilson, is a descendant of the family that owned black David Wilson's family in North Carolina. I was now hooked! (I gave up watching the HBO Saturday night movie for this and it was well worth it.) Both families met in North Carolina and embraced each other... the descendents of slaves and the descendents of slave owners. They attended church together and had a big picnic.

Well... young, black David Wilson took his sojourn even farther. He traced his family's roots all the way back to the village in West Africa that they were kidnapped from. He made the trip to Africa himself and met his true descendents. The last scene of the documentary showed David Wilson in what looked like a predominately African-American charter school, dispelling the stereotypes of Africa that the children had learned and instead, taught them about their proud heritage. He still maintains a close friendship with 62 year old white David Wilson in North Carolina.

This was a wonderful documentary... the type of story that should have been shown on BET. If they rerun it again (and, this being cable, I'm sure they will), I would advise everyone, black and white, to watch it. You can also click on the above photo or text link under the photo to go the MSNBC website to learn more about the story. It's a must see and/or must read.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keith,

Thanks for the blog. This is David A. Wilson. I regularly check the blogosphere to see what types of conversation are being had about the film. I usually don't respond and I would not have if I didn't see that you are also well acquainted with Elder Watson Diggs, as am I. Rowan University Xi-Gamma Spr. 99. You're also an Aries which furthers the cause. Keep spreading the word about the film.

YITB
Dave Wilson

Keith said...

Brother David, thank you for such an inspiring experience.
And being an Aries and a "Nupe" also is a double bonus..It truly is a small world afterall. I hope you continue to check out my blog.

Yours in the Bond,
Keith

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Yes Keith, I saw the teaser on the Today show for this a while back and it looked just as interesting as it sounds it was. I guess that is one positive reason I should go ahead and spring fro cable up here in Da' Bean. Maybe it will be on while I'm home for the holidays!!

My aunt (paternal) has researched our family back to a family in North Carolina, she kinda stopped her genealogy when my grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and then she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I always said that I wanted to sit with her and both of my grandmothers and get as much from them as possible so I could find my roots, like Mr. Wilson. Its sad but many of us won’t be able to get all the way back to our African villages because of the way we were sold and swapped etc, but I think it is worth a try and definitely something we should take pride in. We are a STRONG resilient race of people and we must never forget that!

-OG

Arlene said...

Cuz, I'm back on the blog thanks to Ros. I saw this piece also and and have recorded it to share with my students when class resumes in the fall. This is why the conversation on race is so important. When the enslaved and former slave owners communicate the burden of the past is lifted. We must explore our true history so that we can more toward our future.

Keep writing, I'll keep reading!

Mizrepresent said...

I saw something like this before with two women, one black and one white...and it was also very interesting. Can't remember if it went as far back as this one did, but i will, be sure to try to catch this on on BET Keith. Thanks for sharing.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading