Friday, June 13, 2008

The Unthinkable!


I'm doing the unthinkable. I'm actually rooting for the Boston Celtics to win this year's NBA Championship. You have to understand, I'm a Philly guy and the 76ers and Boston Celtics have had a rivalry that goes back to the 1960's. In the 80's, every guy I knew who laced up a sneaker, rooted for every team but the Celtics... (Sixers, Lakers, Bulls, Pistons, Rockets. etc.). Well, that was then and this is now.

One of my favorite players, Kevin Garnett, is a Celtic now. I've followed his career since the day he was drafted. In Minnesota, he never got past the first round. This is the deepest he's been in the playoffs in his career. I'd love to see him get a ring. Ditto for Glen "Doc" Rivers, the coach. I followed him too, from his college days at Marquette to his days of backing up the "Human Highlight", Dominique Wilkins on the Atlanta Hawks, and his first coaching stint at Orlando. I'd love to see "Doc" coach his team to the championship.

In the 80's (except for 1983 when my Sixers beat them in four), I was a fan of "Magic" Johnson's show time Lakers. I loved James Worthy, Kareem Abdul Jabar, Mike Cooper, and Byron Scott. If you fast forward to now, this ain't those Celtics and this certainly ain't those Lakers. So, here I am doing the unthinkable... rooting for the Boston Celtics. Say it ain't so. I like quality and this Boston Celtics has that kind of team. Until the 76ers become a contender again (and that might be sooner than anyone thinks), I will be a Boston Celtics fan.

As for the Lakers, I didn't dig 'em early in the decade when Shaq was there either because they seemed like the bullies of the NBA. They were just that good... seemingly invincible... with Kobe at the helm. They're not bullies but, seem to have that arrogant swagger of entitlement. The Boston Celtics of this year just seem like another hungry team that wants a championship (even though they have about 16 now, don't they?)

I can't believe I'm writing all of this... Unbelievable!

1 comment:

ZACK said...

Keith, you know I got a Chicago-related story for everything. I remember seeing Kevin Garnett play when he was a high schooler back in '94.

The first play of the game- KG did a dunk from like the foul line! It was crazy! I was there because my brother's school had played the game before and everybody wanted to see KG. He's been a star for years now.

But GO CELTICS! Paul Pierce looks like a neo-slave (with his unkempt looks), but he's very deserving.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading