Monday, July 19, 2010

Weekend Update

I can't believe it's the middle of summer already, can you? Man, how time flies! Usually, what I'm about to tell you is saved for Facebook, but this is definitely more than the 142 characters that FB allows...



My office does something called "A Day of Service" annually. Last year was the first year we did it and it went over well with somebody! Nobody I know personally, but somebody with enough clout to ask us to do it again this year-LOL! This day of service now takes the place of the retreat we used to have every year. We would come in dressed any way we saw fit, get on a bus, and spend the day at the beach. We would return to our office around 3:00pm and then, released for the day.

Don't get me wrong... I think a day of service is a great idea. It just pales in comparison to a day at the beach! Anyway, this past Friday, a third of the office went to a homeless shelter and handed out meals; another third helped out with the children at the Please Touch Museum; and the third of the office that included me worked outside at the "Schuylkill Banks". Now, let me explain to you what this is...

Over the last 10 years, federal stimulus money and some grants were used to renovate an entire area underneath the Walnut Street, Chestnut Street, and Market Street bridges that was mostly an overgrown-grass wasteland and turned into a dumping ground for trash. Well, the grass was cut, walkways were paved, and new bridges and ramps were built connecting this area to the bridges and streets above it. Street lights and benches were installed in the area, which extended all the way up to the Philadelphia Art Museum. Today, people can ride bikes, skate, skateboard, and jog through the area, while others picnic and just chill. Coffee shops and eateries are planned for the near future.

My crew was supposed to just walk up and down this two-mile area and police it by cleaning up the trash... but much to everyone's surprise, there was very little trash to clean-up. The Development Authority employees do a fantastic job of cleaning this area, so we did do some landscaping and planted a few small trees instead. After the work was completed, we were treated to a delicious lunch at a place called "Mikey's", a new bar and grill in the area. We had Baked Ziti, cold pasta, salads, an array of sandwiches, and a ticket that allowed you to have two free drinks from the bar. You can't beat that! It was a short work day and I think everyone from all three work crews were happy just to have a day away from the office.



On Saturday, my cousin got married! I said before that time flies and it seems like only yesterday that he and my daughter were both eight years old and chasing each other at my own wedding, some 23 years ago. Today, both of them are grown, married, and have two children of their own. It kinda makes you feel old! I knew my cousin "when" and now he's a grown man with a wife, a son, a daughter, a home, and he is in business for himself. It makes me proud to see him now as a man, and it's always nice to see the whole family together for a joyous occasion and not a funeral. While I'm at it, allow me to introduce you to my Cousin Arlene, who is also one of my loyal commentators. This photo of us was taken during the wedding reception.



I'm sure this was much more than 142 characters, but that was my weekend! How was yours?

2 comments:

Arlene said...

Hey, who's that pretty woman with you???? Looks like someone with lots of opinions!!

Mizrepresent said...

Looks and sounds like a great weekend Keith. Glad u enjoyed!




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading