Friday, September 5, 2008

Blackout


Last night, I was watching the New York Giants play the Washington Redskins. Thankfully, it was a good alternative to watching the hatefest and self-congratulatory backslapping that had become known as the Republican National Convention. Then, all of a suddenit happened... there was complete nothingness. The air conditioner, television, and lights went off and I found myself in the middle of a blackout. (Actually, the lights went off first or at least that's what I noticed first. A psychological study could be done as to what people notice going off first during a blackout.)

In the middle room, both computers went off and I had both of my blogs up so that I could write some posts during halftime. The house was dark and quiet... my wife, daughter, and grandson were home too but they (like me) were wandering around and trying to make the best of the situation.

In the driveway behind my house I could hear the voices of several angry men. Apparently, they were sitting on their decks watching the football game too! (I know they weren't that upset because they could no longer view the Republican National Convention! "Aww man, I don't believe this ish... I'm missin' John McCain's speech. Ah know, right?")

In the meantime, my wife (and probably several other people) called PECO, our electric supplier and, of course, they said what they always say when something like this happens... "We are aware of the problem and we will have someone out there as soon as possible." Which really means, "We'll get to it when we get to it."

My daughter was on her cell phone talking to someone and my grandson seemed totally oblivious to all of the darkness. The joy and innocence of children (and, especially toddlers) is amazing to watch at times. They are too young to be attached to electronic appliances/devices of any kind. There was still just a slither of daylight left so, I took him outside for a while. He was happy to just run from one end of the patio landing to the other end, over and over again.

My cell phone was recharging and with the electric off, there really wasn't any charging going on. To make matters worse, only one phone in the house was working... the one in our basement. It was from the days of old when a phone did not need electricity to function. (Remember them? If you don't, you know the rule... I don't want to hear about!) The other four phones in the house are all cordless and the bases need electricity for recharging, etc. Thank God for the old "Ma Bell" phone in the basement!

Because the entire neighborhood (and several surrounding areas) were in the dark, it seemed like a good time to just sit outside on the steps. It was a stifling hot night and with nothing else to do, everybody came outside, sat on their steps, and did something revolutionary... we actually talked each other! Of course, we all complained about the power being off but then, we all just talked in general.

Well, you know me... social animal that I am, I walked from block to dark block talking to groups of people sitting on steps with nothing else to do but talk. Surprisingly enough, everybody was very receptive and I didn't detect any attitudes. It turned out to be a great time to reconnect with people I see everyday but, I'm usually too busy to talk to or just don't choose to talk to for whatever reason.

Finally, the power came back on but unfortunately, it was long after the game was over. I know that the Giants won but, I don't know the score. So, 12 Kyle and Eb the Celeb... if you're out there lurking, could you tell me the final score-lololol! . I believe I was on Karrie B.'s blog just before I starting watching the football game and I didn't get a chance to read anybody else's posts last night. So, I'll get around to that sometime today or tonight.

Right now and as of this writing, it's 3:19am and I couldn't sleep. I think I'm ready to go back to bed now so, I bid you goodnight (or should I say good morning).

10 comments:

LadyLee said...

I just wrote a post like this... Our lights were out for only a couple of hours (a tree limb fell on some wires on the corner, transformer exploded).

I noticed everyone came outside and milled around, relaxed on their porches and TALKED.

Keith, we live in a FAST paced world now. Everything is at our fingertips, right here, right now, at an instant. Sometimes it takes a blackout to remind us what's REALLY important. And that night, I was grateful for the blackout. Gave myself and my sister a chance to have a much needed convo about a few things.

I had a writing class last night, but I caught the last hour of that game! score: Giants 16, Skins 7. Plaxico Buress is one of my fantasy receivevers. The dude got down last night (10 catches, 133 yrds!)

Keith said...

@LadyLee- Thanks, I missed the whole game.

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to turn the power outage into a positive. Sometimes we need these things to help us connect in a more basic way with those around us. Several weeks ago, I was internet-less for 24 hours until the cable folks could fix it and once I got over my initial anger, it turned into a positive.

The scary thing is I am old enough to remember when we didn't have any internet or cable to relax to in the evening. Yet now that we do, its hard to remember what we used to do back in the days.

Have a great weekend!

Mizrepresent said...

Yeah it's funny what will get us to talking again and socializing without it being a party...sometimes a blackout is needed.

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Yes when the power goes out there always a little gab fest on my street too.

Glad everything is back on!!

-OG

Anonymous said...

When our lights go out, we hop in the car and take a ride to the nearest store with power and window shop

~peppermintbeauty

The F_Uitlist said...

I looked at this earlier, and Said OH BOy another football post I'll read it when I get home.

Now I see there was no football in Philly hahaha. I have been waiting for NY to have a black out (preferably when I am not on the train and downtown manhattan so I can get home).

In the last black out I was at home and noticed the lights went off first.

msladyDeborah said...

I can always tell when the electricty is out in my neighborhood. All of the dog owners walk their pets at the same time.

I feel you on the phone. I have a traditional telephone hooked up because you never know when you might be without electricity.

Usually when the power is down I find ways to keep myself entertained. I happen to appreciate what silence brings into my life.

♥ CG ♥ said...

I wish my lights had of gone out. Leave it up to my Skins to get beatdown on national t.v. Ugh!

Blu Jewel said...

i sometimes enjoy when the power goes out because it forces you to be creative without all of your amenities and your time.

i have an abundance of candles and am pretty prepared for power outages.

love!




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading