Saturday, September 6, 2008

"Nothing To Fear But Fear Itself"

A Glimpse of What Might Have Been...

As most of you know, Michael Jackson recently celebrated his 50th birthday on August 28th. Shortly around that time, I received an email with a computer generated photo (above) of what Michael may have looked like now at age 50 without the years of endless plastic surgery.

Over the years, I have seen other projected images of what Michael may have looked like without plastic surgery but, many of them only mocked and made fun of his present (or even past) appearance at the time they were done. For some reason, this is the first one I've seen that is actually believable. If you notice, there are even traces of the so-called hereditary skin pigmentation problem that he FEARED would plague him one day and subsequently led to all of the plastic surgery in the first place.

Michael still claims to this day that the skin pigmentation problem runs in his family yet, none of the other Jackson children appear to have it (at least, not to my knowledge). However, some of them wear so much make-up, who can really be sure?



I remember all too well what Michael looked like back in 1968 when he was just a 10 year old little black boy (above left) from Gary, IN and his star was shining so bright, singing lead for The Jackson Five. I was exactly 10 years old myself at the time. (1958 was a phenominal year as far as births go, myself included-lol!) I don't know about you but, I would much rather have the computer generated Michael than the one we have now (above right) because it is very conceivable that the computer image is very close to being "right on target". But, here again... who can really be sure?

Don't get me wrong... Michael will always have a place in my heart because, no matter how hard I try, I just can't forget that little boy who meant so much to me all those long years ago. He (and his brothers) was living a life that most little black boys could only dream about at the time. And, for those of you who can't understand that, all I can say is... I guess, you just had to be there and experience that time period for yourself. In the 1980's, the world crowned him "The King of Pop" and his success was off the charts... but for those of us who "knew him when", we had the once in a lifetime experience of seeing the true essence of Michael long before "that title" was ever bestowed upon him and the privilege of telling our children about him years later, after we grew up.

On those days when I struggle with who (or what) Michael has become, my memory of that little black boy who sang his lil' heart out never fails me and always comes to the rescue. Every once in a while, my wife and I still listen to our Jackson Five records. (That's right... we still have them and a turntable to boot! But, we've also got some CDs, okay-lol?) All you have to do is listen to "Who's Lovin' You", "Never Can Say Goodbye", "Got To Be There" (just to name a few)... and all of the adult madness of his later years just fades away. But, for those who don't have those early memories of him and the records, tapes, CDs, or whatever to fall back on, all they can see is who (or what) they think he is now and that is really sad.

I can't help but wonder sometimes, if Michael has any regrets? And, if he had it to do all over again... which face would HE choose? What happened to the little black boy that I once knew? Where did he go? We all have to grow up sometime and, in that sense, he is no different than anyone else. But, in his case, I fear that little black boy is within him somewhere... and HE is still full of fear and trapped behind the face that we see today and make fun of from time to time. If you dare to look deeper, you can still see "little" Michael in his eyes... the one thing about his face that hasn't been changed or mutilated.

So, what was it (the plastic surgery) all for and what problem (real or imagined) did it solve for him? I'm not really sure but, I guess FEAR can really mess you up sometimes, can't it (or should I say, if you let it)?

* * * * * * * * * * * *

P.S. Happy Belated 50th Birthday, Michael... from someone "who knew you when..." and can still remember who you really are to me.

5 comments:

12kyle said...

i feel you on this, bruh. i remember having the off the wall album when i was a youngin. i miss the old mike. it's strange to see him like this

msladyDeborah said...

The Jacksons are a part of my musical background as well.

It is difficult for me to understand how such a talented individual could ruin his physical apperance. He looks so bad now.

I still listen to my Jackson 5 music. It takes me back to the days when I was young and all the good memories of growing up.

LadyLee said...

I look at Michael too, and wonder what he feels about this all. I love the computer generated picture. He looks as if he could be my own uncle.

I guess fear is a terrible thing. And when you have money to supposedly take care of whatever is scarying you, things can STILL not go as planned. That is what I think happened in Michael's case.

My favorite albums: The Jacksons Triumph and Off the Wall. Love those both, and still listen to them.

Don said...

At first glance, it scares me to look at MJ, cause I don't even recognize the entertainer who stole the hearts of billions. He doesn't have an identity, cause every year it keeps changing, it appears.

I have to beleive that he's unhappy within his heart with the way things turned out. I hate that for him, cause he has placed smiles onto the face and hearts of so many people with his music.

Bookworm Girl said...

Oh my yes, he totally messed up his face. That's a great computer generated photo. The Jacksons are a really good looking family.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading