Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Not An Exact Science (Reducing Breast Cancer)


It's National Breast Cancer Awareness month and I thought I would speak on this because two members of my family (my mother and one of my aunts) had Breast Cancer so, it's made me that much more aware. For all of my female readers out there, here are some things that might help you avoid breast cancer.

Well first off, I'd better say that there is really nothing that you can do to ensure that you absolutely do not get breast cancer, although studies have reported there are some lifestyle choices that may help reduce your breast cancer risk. Right now, some of the most important appear to be: eating a healthy diet that is low in fat and high in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables (there is no data indicating that a specific diet, per se, can help reduce breast cancer risk); losing weight (if you are overweight); not gaining weight after menopause; getting regular exercise; and using hormone therapy to treat menopausal symptoms for the shortest time period necessary.

The American Cancer Society suggests you exercise for 45-60 minutes, 5 or more days a week. This is something that I could stand to do more of myself. Reducing stress is something else you could do. The evidence on stress being related to breast cancer is all over the map and it's quite conflicting and far from consistent. There is no evidence, however, that one of these external factors that increase breast cancer risk is how women express — or don't express — their emotions or how they handle stress. Yet, stress reduction makes everybody feel a lot better. Take it from me... I should know. I'm uptight 24/7.

Jamie Foxx sings "Blame It On The "Al -Al-a-Alcho-Alcohol..." Studies have found that having one or two drinks per day increases a woman's risk of developing a breast cancer tumor that is hormone-sensitive (ER+/PR+). Overall, about 70 percent of all women who are diagnosed with breast cancer have this type of tumor. Compared to non-drinkers, women who consumed less than one drink daily had a 7% higher risk of developing breast cancer. Those who had one or two drinks a day had a 32% increased risk, while those who had three or more daily drinks had a 51% increased risk. The increased risk was found no matter what type of alcohol (wine, beer, etc.) a woman drank. So, does it really matter? Who can say? This is not an exact science but, why tempt fate right? Error on the side of caution.

I do want to stress again that a healthier diet is more than likely essential. Some of the first studies to explore the relationship between breast cancer and foods found that women who ate lots of fruits and vegetables had a decreased risk of breast cancer. But, now it appears that it's more than likely the vegetables that matter the most and not the fruit; and, if they do matter, it's nowhere near the extent we once thought that they might. And while there have been some studies that found that eating a lot of vegetables might reduce the risk of a breast cancer recurrence, how much you should eat and what the risk reduction would be is far from clear. Like I said before... it's not an exact science.

During this month though, ladies, go get those mamograms, get screened and take care of yourself while you can, if you are blessed enough to have health insurance.

A public service announcement from The Maverick of All Bloggers!

23 comments:

clnmike said...

Nice post, got to get the word out.

Beautifully.Conjured.Up said...

Thank you for posting this!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
12kyle said...

droppin science as usual. Thanks fam

Arlene said...

Very timely post Keith. As the daughter of your aunt who died from breast cancer I can really appreciate this reminder of the value of mammograms, self-examinations, and diet. Since my battle 6 years ago (hooray!-cancer free for 6 years)the most significant change I've made has been to increase daily servings of vegetables to 8-10. I'm eating much less protein (almost no beef, a little chicken and fish)and all kinds of veggies (I never liked veggies growing up.) Every meal has vegetable/fruit components. And I am carefull to eat a variety of colors, particularly dark green, red, and purple. Breast cancer is also hereditary. We can pass it to our sons and daughters. Therefore, we must also pass good eating and exercise habits. My downfall is the exercise. The treatment for the cancer initiated menopause. I don't like to exercize because it makes me sweat. And I do enough sweating just from the hot flashes! Our anatomy /physiology instructor is also a personal trainer so he recommended some strength training exercizes using free weights and some flexibility exercises to help me. Pray for me and our other cousin dealing with breast cancer.

Blu Jewel said...

Thank you for posting this Keith. As a 2yrs survivor, I know the importance of doing whatever one can to prevent the onset of many illnesses. Even though I was by medical terms; in excellent health, I was still what's called a Sporadic Case and it adds to reasons why one should always ensure they're getting their necessary checkups and not taking their health for granted.

Had I not listened to my body, it would have taken an additional 5-6 months before my breast cancer was detected and the outcome could have been more grave.

Men need to encourage the women in their lives to do their breast exams and get their mammograms. Trust me, getting your breast smooched in a machine for a couple minutes is far better than a mastectomy and breast reconstruction.

Love to live; live to love.

Toni said...

Thank You Keith!

Angie B. said...

Thanks Keith!

Sunflower said...

Love you for this Keith!

Brenda said...

Thanks Keith!

Cheryl said...

Thank You for posting this!

Lisa said...

Very Timely message Keith!

Halo said...

Love you much for posting this Keith!

Vanessa said...

Thanks Keith,this was right on time!

Sean said...

Well, you definitely hit a nerve here...Good Post!

Swaggie said...

Get the word out bruh! This was good stuff!

tate2 said...

Good Lookin out Bruh!

Jazzy said...

Good Post fam!

James Perkins said...

Very excellent writing and purposeful too!

Simon Bastion said...

Great Public service announcement!
lol

Captain Jack said...

You're a lovely and caring man..

Grover Tha Playboy said...

Good Post man, Gotta get the message out there to the ladies!

Tour du Monde said...

Thanks Keith! :-)




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading