Tuesday, October 27, 2009

That Vaccination Thing


Swine Flu is on everyone's lips nowadays. (Well, I hope it's not on their lips.) Seriously though, everyone is talking about it, concerned about it, and for good reason too. But, I would caution people about allowing fear (their own personal fear and the fear-mongering used by the media to secure ratings and, of course, make money) to encourage their final decision.

My place of employment is offering both shots... the regular Flu shot and the Swine Flu shot. I cannot tell anyone else what to do in a situation like this but, I can say that, more than likely, I will take the regular flu shot and not worry about the swine flu shot unless it's absolutely necessary. When, you ask, might I know that it's absolutely necessary? I really and truly don't know... maybe if two or more people around me contract it.

So far, I have only known one individual personally who has come down with the Swine Flu and, thankfully, they were treated and appear to be doing reasonably well. I'm not going to panic and run out to get a vaccination that I might not need. I normally get a flu shot every year anyway, just as a precaution. I'm wary about getting this "new strain" injected into my system and I'm not making this decision out of fear. I'm making an informed decision based on what information I have right now.

However, if you've chosen to get the vaccination for swine flu or more accurately, the H1N1 strain, here is something you should know about an antiviral drug now being approved by the FDA for use:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is allowing the use of an experimental antiviral drug to treat severe cases of H1N1 or Swine Flu. The drug, Peramivir, is currently being developed by BioCryst Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and is undergoing testing required for regular FDA approval. The FDA issued a so-called emergency use authorization late Friday that allows doctors to use Peramivir, which is delivered intravenously, in certain hospitalized adult and pediatric patients with confirmed or suspected H1N1 Influenza.

A handful of doctors have already treated patients with severe cases of H1N1 using Peramivir, obtained through the agency's expanded access rules that allow individual patients to obtain experimental drugs if certain conditions are met. The emergency-use authorization allows use of the drug without prior FDA approval.

The FDA said there's only limited clinical data about whether Peramivir is safe and effective but, "based upon the totality of scientific evidence available, it is reasonable to believe that Peramivir IV may be effective in certain patients." The company said it is completing production of approximately 130,000 courses of Peramivir and is prepared to make more, if required.

The FDA said Peramivir should only be used in patients who have not responded to or can't take the oral antiviral drug Tamiflu, made by Roche or Relenza, which is an inhaled drug made by GlaxoSmithKline PLC. Like Tamiflu and Relenza, Peramivir works by inhibiting neuraminidase, an enzyme that's involved with the spread of the Influenza virus within the body.

The Federal Center for Disease Control and Prevention asked the FDA to grant Peramivir emergency use to help cope with the Influenza pandemic, which has killed more than 1,000 people in the U.S. since April and hospitalized thousands more. The CDC will control and track distribution of Peramivir to hospitals.

As of October 17th, 46 states were reporting "widespread" Influenza activity and many doctors offices have been swamped with swine-flu patients. The CDC said more than 7% of outpatients visits in the week that ended October 17th were attributed to Influenza-like illnesses, a rate higher than during the peak of the last few Influenza seasons. The CDC said "many millions" of Americans have been sickened with H1N1 Influenza since the virus was first discovered in April.

The U.S. government has ordered enough vaccine to make up to 251 million doses if needed but. production has been slower than originally anticipated. According to the CDC, a total of 11.3 million doses of the vaccine had been shipped to U.S. doctors, hospitals, and clinics as of Wednesday out of a total of 14.1 million doses that manufacturers had shipped to warehouses by that time.

By Friday, 16.1 million doses of vaccine had been shipped to warehouses, the CDC said. The total is far below the government's most recent estimate that by the end of this month, about 28 million to 30 million doses would be shipped to warehouses for further distribution. That estimate itself is a revision, made last week from a prior expectation of about 40 million doses by the end of the month. In July, the government had predicted that about 100 million doses would be ready in October.

I just thought you should at least know about this one drug being used to prevent the spread of the virus and there are no doubt a few others on the table. Knowledge is power folks so, don't panic. Get educated and then make an informed decision. Just remember, fear and panic puts money in some people's pockets and does you no good in the end.

(Another public service announcement from the Maverick of All Bloggers!)

24 comments:

Solomon said...

Thanks for this 'pulic service announcement' Keith.

I got my regular flu shot a couple months ago. I'm with you bro, I'm not running out to get the shot for the H1N1 stain when there is no way to really know how people are going to reat to it.

This virus just surfaced last spring. So there is very little testing that has been done on the safety and effectiveness or the vaccine.

So I'm going to pass. Especally since there is the Tamaflu option if I do catch the new strain.

I'm healthy, so I can't see it killing me anyway. Most people that have severe, life threatening illness have different underlying conditions that helped the flu along and caused the severe symptoms.

Later bro!

Tate2 said...

I'm With you as far as not getting that swine flu shot right away.
Thanks for the information on one of the vaccines.

Jazzy said...

As always brother, you're right on the pulse of where everyone is at.

Toni said...

Good Post Keith.

Angie B. said...

Thanks for this post Keith and welcome back...-:)

Sunflower said...

Great and informative post. welcome back Keith..(I didn't feel as though you had gone anywhere.)

Swaggie said...

Thanks for putting it down once again bruh!

James Perkins said...

Welcome back Maverick-:) If that's what you want to call it..lolol, once again you make some valid points. I have to disagree with you on not getting the shot for swine flu. I intend to get both shots..Better to be safe then sorry!

Simon Bastion said...

A great public service announcement
Keith and one that I'll definitely think about.

Simon Bastion said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Grover Tha Playboy said...

What would we ever do without your
public service announcements Mr.
Maverick? lolol Great Post.

Sean said...

Thanks for dropping the knowledge
once again Keith.

Brenda said...

Great post Keith...and very informative...I too am not planning to get the H1N1 shot unless necessary.

Cheryl said...

Welcome back to the grind dear Maverick! lololol.

Captain Jack said...

What is with all these people saying "Welcome back " to you? Were you away? I've been reading something new by you practically everyday. lolol.

Vanessa said...

I got my regular Flu shot last week. I got sick as a dog, which I usaually do after awhile...I am in no rush to get the Swine flu shot.
I'm like you..I'll get it if I feel I have to.

Halo said...

Good Post Keith. This Swine Flu has me concerned..but I'm not to the point of panic yet. Thanks for the re-inforcement.

Lisa said...

Hi Keith. I have already gotten both shots..I figured it was better to be safe than sorry.
Good Post just the same.

Rich Fitzgerald said...

I have never taken a flu shot and I'm not planning on taking the H1N1 either. I don't trust these folks who inject you with disease to cure you of disease. Whatever.

I was listening to the Michael Baisden show last week and he mentioned that what they don't tell you is that thousands of people are dying from the regular flu virus every year to include 2009. More people have died this year from the regular flu strain than from H1N1. I guess they figure they already got most of America on the dole for that shot, so no use in bringing up any other information. If they did speak up maybe, just maybe, people would realize the shot can't help you and then they would be out of that $25+ they charge for the shot.

Don said...

Thanks for the important message, Keith. Well done. I know that I probably need to try and get my vaccination but sadly I doubt if I will. Why? I have no ideal. Too pitiful to take the time out.

Always thinking it can't possibly happen to me.

Anonymous said...

Hey hun...missed you lots. Havent been around to touch basics too much but Im around. Talk about this darn flu, my daughter has it. Im pregnant so you know I cant get it...so I quickly sanitized my home. I wont take the shot because the last time I took it ( only once) I got soooo sick, so I refuse it. Just take care of yourself....muah!!

Beautifully.Conjured.Up said...

The H1NI vaccination shot is also made with synthetic chemicals...just a thought.

Angel said...

I had swine flu, it was just like the flu I was sick, I got over it, the only people that dont really are elderly and children or people who already have an existing complication.

I would never have swine flu jab or any other jab.

Dont listen to the governments and put these rushed out vaccinations in your body, you really dont know whats in it or where it comes from. Keith thanks so much for letting everyone know!

ShellyShell said...

I've never had a flu shot! You would think I would because of the profession my parents and two siblings are in BUT nope I'm chillin! They also tell you you should get the shots if you have bronchial problems like asthma..yep that would be me! And I'm still voting NO to both shots! Maybe I'll change my mind one day but for now I'll keep going to the gym 6 days a week and drinking my wine and Vodka. It hasn't steered me wrong yet!!




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading