Friday, August 8, 2008

BLOGZILLA

This is one of those posts that I hope will get a lot of feedback. This one is written for all of my fellow bloggers because I am curious... Just when do you blog and what do you do while blogging?

It's hard to believe that my wife had to practically beg me to set up a blog about a year ago. It was the same as when you keep promising to take the trash out. You know that you will eventually get to it but, you don't really want to do it so, you keep SAYING that you'll do it. Well, that's how it was for me. She knows how much I like to write and that I stopped writing for a while (6 years to be exact). She kept telling me about this medium in which I could write my thoughts and opinions about all of the things that I talked with her about. I would bend her ear a lot about politics, sports, and all kinds of subjects that she only had a moderate interest in (at best) but, I was really passionate about (she humored me a lot).

My wife had already been maintaining a blog for our grandson for one-and-a-half years... an electronic baby book (so to speak) to record the early years of his life that he would never remember. Finally, on the day after Christmas 2007, we sat down at the computer together, came up with a blog name, determined the web address, picked out a Blogger template and thus, "Keith's Space" was born... but, I didn't actually write my first post until New Years Day.

I started out slow... writing a post or two a week. I would usually post at work... then, I would call my wife and tell her that I wrote something so she could edit it and find a nice photo or graphic to match it. The system worked for a time, until I gradually began to post nearly everyday. I quickly realized that I couldn't do it at work anymore so, I started posting at home, usually after dinner. We have two computers in the house so while I was writing a post, my wife could edit and add the photos or graphics to another post.

Then, in late June I got the crazy idea (from Mizrepresent, kinda sorta) to start another blog. While I was reading a post on her "Write For Life" blog, I noticed that she had another blog called "Wildflower II". I read her great poetry and was floored. I kept saying to myself, "This is what I wanted to do in the first place! How about doing a blog like Miz's that is just for my poetry and fiction?" I already had two or three books of poetry that I had written over the years but, had never been seen by the general public... plus, I had all of these ideas for short stories in my head that I was gonna eventually get around to writing but, never did.

So, I approached my wife with the idea for the second blog and she looked at me like I was crazy. She really didn't want to do it but, after a couple of weeks she gave in and helped me set it up. I came up with the idea for how I wanted the blog to look. This time, we searched for a template at Pyzam and I found one that I thought would be just right. So, on July 17th I launched my second blog, "Escapades", for my poetry and fiction.

Because I now have to manage two blogs, there is NO WAY that I can post at work anymore. So, I have developed a routine... after dinner, I write the posts for both blogs. Now, my wife can do the editing, photos, or graphics right there on the spot and I can just "schedule" them for the day and time I want them to appear on the blog (a little trick I learned from the Original Glamazon, who scheduled a couple of her posts while she was away in Houston).

For instance, tonight I wrote a short story called "The Tell-Tale Condom" for my Escapades blog. (And no, it didn't happen to me or anybody I know... I got the idea from one of those "what if" conversations with a group of friends.) While I worked on that post, my partner in crime was on the other computer "lurking" on other blogs and reading comments. I can't believe it. I have gone from someone who just had a casual interest in blogging to a BLOGZILLA... a person who is addicted to blogging. And, I wasn't satisfied with just one... I had to have two blogs!

So, here are some questions for all of my fellow bloggers...When do you write your posts... during the day or night, at home or work, etc.? Do you eat or drink while you blog? (I know that there is someone out there who blogs in the nude... but, that's okay. I don't need to know who-tmi... I just know that someone does-lol!)

Comments please...

14 comments:

The Dreamy One said...

Okay I have one blog and a blog that i contribute on....

love it and i am addicted just as much as you are,lol

i cant help it, and dont let me get behind, i get so mad...

i dont really get to blog at home, i normally blog and read at work on my down time...

and i dont blog in the nude,lol

The Dreamy One said...

haaaa and i am 1st again,lol

Anonymous said...

I read your blog in the nude!

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Let’s see what are those questions again?

When do you write your posts... during the day or night, at home or work, etc.?
I write my post whenever. I almost hardly ever write in the blogging interface, because sometimes my post are written over days, and if you notice sometimes I even edit and change my post that are posted. I guess more because I may read my blog and find something I don’t like. Usually I read my published blog at least once as a reader and that is where the changes come from.

I blog at work, when I have free time, but I blog at home and I start lots of blogs that never make it to see the light of day. I think of blog topics constantly usually things that I wonder what the WORLD might think about. I have taken many blogging breaks and moved my blog home a few times. I think Blogger will be the last one. I am way to lazy to move all my content over from one blog to another but I have been thinking I probably should. I guess I will do that when you finally take out the trash. *lol*

I don’t have a routine at all. As with most things in my life I am free form. I don’t even take a shower at the same time every morning. Sometimes I am to busy to blog daily and only recently has daily blogging even become a part of my life again. This time my move to Boston spurred the return back to blogging on the regular. So far I like blogging with Blogger the best as they are truly about the medium and less about how many friends one has or notes one leaves.

In December it will be four years since I starting sharing my life with the World Wide Web and really I can’t imagine my life with out it, although my blog life and personal lives rarely cross. Like I doubt TOM A has any idea what I’m out here telling y’all, but I like it that way gives me freedom to be somewhat honest!

Do you eat or drink while you blog?
Yes and a few other things too. I am occasional smoker, mostly when I drink alcohol so I have even smoked when blogging, it feels very sex and the city. *lol* I have talked on the phone while blogging I almost always have some other medium going on while blogging, TV, radio, CD.

For the record I have blogged in coffee shops, on back porches, and even from my phone!

LMAO @ Toni! too funny.

-OG

Keith said...

I'm gonna invest in a Laptop so I can blog from the coffee shop.

crys said...

i blog sometimes at work, but i'm definitely not considered a blogger - AT ALL. i don't even like blogging.....i prefer lurking in other peoples thoughts.

ZACK said...

I started my blog on January 1 as well, Keith. When I blog, I do all kinds of stuff. Usually, I open up tabs in Mozilla Firefox, so that I'm not switching back and forth between windows.

I thought about starting a second blog (maybe at wordpress) but I think one blog is enough for right now.

Nice post. And I look forward to reading the "Tale of the Tell Tell Condom" real soon. LOL!

I'm glad that your wife talked you into blogging. You have a unique voice that people need to be exposed to. Keep it up!

Keith said...

@Zack- Thanks man, coming from you,that's a supreme compliment!!

@Toni- lmao...that's TMI..lololol.

Your Favorite Teacher said...

Hey, Keith... I have also thought about two blogs... I blog all through the day... I don't post at work or access blogger, but as I am thinking (constantly) I am jotting down thoughts and ideas that become entries when I get home. I need a routine.. That's in process...

Mizrepresent said...

Man, i started out with one blog...supposedly i wanted to write about publishing, but then I emerged and began to talk about whatever i wanted. I fell in love with it. I started my poetry blog just last year (another blogger suggested it) and i was really amazed how well it took off. I also contribute to other blogs, Bloggers Delight, Intimate Outings, The P" Chats. Intimate Outings is my newest and i enjoy discussing relation topics there.

When do i blog, i usually prepare post at work, email it home and then save it, sometimes i will prepare more than one, sometimes the whole thing changes because something else will grab me, or weigh on my mind. I can only read blogs at home, so i stay up late and get up early to catch up on everyone.

She Draws said...

Before the bandit stole my computer I would blog nude,eating,talking on the phone whatever.

But now I mostly blog and read blogs at work. I don't like to blog about nothing so I would prefer for events to take place to blog about or I just won't write anything.

Your spot freezes on me at work. what's up with that Keith?

Keith said...

@Miz- Now that I do my posts for both blogs at home, (where it's much more relaxing and easier to gather and organize my thoughts)I have started carrying a little notebook around at work. I write down things that grab my attention too for "Keith's Space" and ideas
for any fiction or any new poems for "Escapades"...

@Ashley- Sorry about the loading problem..My IT person at work thinks she has a solution..I'll let you know how that works out soon.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the process of writing.

Keith said...

Come on...Stop playing, Lurker!




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading