Saturday, August 2, 2008

Weekend Update

Soul Food Hangover 9:30am

Okay, it's Saturday morning... I went out last night and didn't imbibe in any alcohol so, why do I feel as if I have a hangover? I went to a nice little spot with a few of my co-workers, all of whom are 35-42 years old. There was a DJ there and he was playing straight hip-hop... Little Wayne, Young Jeezy, T.I., sprinkled with a little Usher, Wale, Roots, and Jill Scott. He was pretty good but, it was so loud in there that I couldn't hear myself think and conversation was pointless. But, that was okay... it was Friday night... who needs to talk?

Down the street, there was a live Jazz band and they sounded pretty good... so, I left my co-workers and walked over to where the band was playing. Inside a scruffy little place with cheezy neon lights, the smell of soul food filled the air where people were sitting and watching the band play... fried chicken, fried fish (which I can't eat), collard greens, macaroni & cheese, candied yams, and potato salad. I have to cut down on this type of food for health reasons but, I just couldn't help myself. I loaded up my plate with everything mentioned (except the fish). I also helped myself to a jar of sweet ice tea and enjoyed the feast while the band finished their set.

A DJ came on while they took their break and began playing cuts from Al Green's new CD (which was partially produced by Questlove), Mint Condition, Ashanti, Usher, Mariah Carey, and Janet Jackson. It was a good time... no drama, no gunplay, no foolishness. I enjoyed myself fully.

Now, here I am... stuffed and feeling like I'm hung over... hung over from good music and good eatin'.


The Duel 11:00am

At what point, does a man finally bury the boy in him? After you read this story, tell me if what I did was the boy in me, the Aries in me, or the fool in me...

I was taking my grandson to breakfast this morning (Seems like I'll never learn, will I?) and I said to him, "Come on, little man lets go someplace nice." So, I hit Lincoln Drive and headed for the Germantown section of town. I was going to take him to another one of our favorite places, The Trolley Car Diner. It has great food and great service... the only thing is, I couldn't get to it. They are doing construction from Germantown Avenue to Chestnut Hill and the part of the road that leads to the diner is blocked off! (It must be killing their business right now.) I didn't feel like driving around in circles all morning so, I headed back to Lincoln Drive. This drive is known for its monstrous curves and is considered hazardous. I was once told that my father would go out of his way to avoid driving on it... which is part of the reason I love it!

While I was on the drive, I saw this really cool Mustang GT convertible in front of me and it had an Omega Psi Phi license plate on it. The man driving it looked to be about my father's age. He was one of those real cool old men that never seem to age. (They tell me that I'm gonna be like that too-lol!) He was wearing a white Panama hat, white shirt, and white shorts. He had a woman sitting next to him who appeared to be in her late 40's. I pulled along side of them and slowly moved in front of them. I know that he saw the Kappa Alpha Psi cane and fishing hat sitting in the back window of my car, as well as my frat license plate holder. So, the duel was on...

We were going at it in both lanes, making those wicked turns. I was conscious that my little man was in the child seat, in the back (Did you hear that Nancy Grace?) so, I drove with as much caution as I could. This guy whipped between 2 or 3 cars and slipped into the lane beside me. Then, he looked at me, winked, and pulled off. (Oh no, he doesn't wanna take it there, does he?). I bided my time and waited until we got to City Avenue... an SUV with out of state plates cut him off and I shifted to the other lane. Now, it's my turn to look at him and wink. Then, I smiled and when the light turned green, off I went... laughing like The Joker! I said to my little man, "Did you just see your Pop-Pop! How do ya like me now?" My grandson said, "Brrrrrrrrr, whoooooooooo!" and clapped with approval but, it was short lived. The old playa drove up beside me again, laughed, and pulled off three or four cars ahead of me. (I guess he didn't get that old by NOT knowing how to drive.)

Finally, when I got to 54th and City Avenue, I glared over at him. We both watched for the light to change and this time, I got the upper hand and kept it until we got to 63rd Street. I put my signal on and went into the turning lane, signaling that our little duel was over. We nodded to each other... the nod of two worthy opponents who respected each other. He drove straight and I made my turn onto 63rd street.

Now, I ask you... was it the boy in me, the Aries in me, or the damn fool in me?


Adventures in Brunch 12:00pm

My little man and I finally found another great place to eat... The Empire Diner. We got good, speedy service and a waitress that understood a man by himself with a two year old! I've got only high praise for this place. There were no incidents and no crazy stories to tell. All in all, breakfast was a success THIS Saturday.


Obama & The Hecklers 1:30pm

I saw a snippet of Barack Obama at a rally yesterday. If you didn't see it, check out CNN or Fox News... I'm sure they are showing it. Didn't he handle that heckler? I think Fox News planted him there, myself.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everybody!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your stories Keith..Only you
can take a routine Saturday Morning abd make it sound this good. lmao.

Dione said...

Hey! Glad breakfast with "lil man" went well. I think you need to stay away from that crazy IHOP u went to before. I own a mustang myself so I know how the power of the horse will pull you in. Glad you guys bidded farewell to each other safely though! Greek respect, gotta love it.
As far as the Soul Food. It's intoxicating! This weekend, I made a pot of collard greens that were delightfully SINFUL and for this weekend only, I didn't care that I had totally put my FOOT in them greens and I was going to eat every bite! I'll pay for it next week when it's back to rabbit food...

Mizrepresent said...

Ummm that looks like some good eating there, and no you weren't acting too foolish...i've done the same thing, i don't know what it is about cars that does that to us, lol. And it is certainly not a man thing.

12kyle said...

lookin at that picture of food doesn't help my growlin stomach! lol

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

It was all three in you a little bit of each. Man I want to find a place to eat breakfast here other than making it myself . *lol*

Sounds like you had a pretty cool weekend huh?

-OG

Keith said...

Never a dull moment! lol.

Blah Blah Blah said...

Men!
...and their cars, thier egos, thier competitive nature and their little road-dogs! lol
You bet not be racing with little road dog in the car again...lol

Good read.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading