Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Does America Still Have A Problem with Race?


I know, I know... you ask am I kidding, right? I've been pondering this for a few weeks and this is my take on it.

Barack Obama is slightly ahead of John McCain in the polls at this time. Doesn't it worry any of you that it's only a single digit lead? I'm willing to say that if Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, or hell... even Mike Gravel had won the Democratic nomination, with the shape this country is in right now, they would have triple digit leads over John McCain. So, why is the Obama lead so close?

They have not yet discovered any skeletons in his closet... no affairs, no love children, no theft of public funds, and no secret text messages to woman (check it out, Kwame). They have found absolutely nothing! About all the McCain campaign can hit him with is the fact that he is young and inexperienced. You can only beat that drum for so long before people start tuning it out because, as I said before, if the present state of affairs in this country shows "experience", then give me the "inexperience" of the junior senator from Illinois any day of the week.

So, I ask again... What is it? Why is this race so close when Obama, who has charisma, good looks, and the wholesome all American family, should be so far ahead that John McCain shouldn't even be a footnote in this election. It's got to be that 500 pound gorilla that has been in America's living room since the first Africans stepped off the boat at Jamestown.

A certain amount of Americans who are melanin-challenged, still feel a little uneasy about a black man sitting in the "White" House. Even a black man who's mother was just as white as they are and from the Heartland to boot. He's still half black and that's one half too much to be in the reigns of power.

If I took their idea, I would have even less of a reason to vote for a white candidate... he or she might have ancestors that owned my ancestors. Yet, I and every black person who has ever voted, has voted for white candidates our entire lives without thought to any of that.

America just might get over its racial hump and elect a black president in a few months... and, if it does, that will mean that all Americans have come a long way. In my dreams, I don't want it to end there... let's elect a Latino president, an Asian president, a Native American president, and a woman president.

It's not that far-fetched, if you really think about it!

6 comments:

Dione said...

Of course America still has a problem with race. They can't see the forest for the trees, In spite of themselves... I must say, I AM proud of those melanin challenged ones who have stepped out of faith and ignored the dirty looks of their peers and outwardly support Obama. Now we just have to get the rest of the nation on board. I'll include myself in that. Having an open mind is plain hard to do. I have to take things one step at a time. I support Obama but I don't think I'm quite ready for the Asian, Latino or Native American President juuuusssst yet...

Keith said...

But see that's the problem...we are so conditioned to things being one way, that we can't allow ourselves to stretch and imagine other possibilities. It's hard for me too sometimes...That's why at first I supported John Edwards...I couldn't conceive a Black candidate having a ghost of a chance, but Obama showed me that it can be done and that the time is right now.

Anonymous said...

You both make a pretty compelling argument.

Mizrepresent said...

That was so on point, and of course we know they are, but they better start taking a real serious look at our economy, this war, and our foreign affairs before they make a half-azzed decision on race, because all of the above is affecting all of us.

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Yep you said it!

I hope McCain's aids don't read this post and accuse Obama supporters of playing the race card. They are starting to get desperate, but really why when he still is running close.

You know I believe the polls are designed to keep it close to keep us interested in the Presidential race, I mean really when you think about it, most elections stay close in the poll even those that landslide.

Usually they predict victory but reporting someone is getting killed in an election doesn't exactly keep the interest in the election enough to still do election stories that will draw ratings. Just my two cents.

-OG

Your Favorite Teacher said...

It is getting closer to the election and the issues that matter the most are going to emerge. The media and the people are currently vacillating between the two. The upcoming debates will tell the tale...




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading