Sunday, August 24, 2008

Jazmine Sullivan

Official My Space Page

I'm really feeling Jazmine Sullivan right about now. I first heard her music when I was on Eb the Celeb's blog. I heard this song called, "I Broke The Windows of Your Car" and I liked the lyrics but, I really loved the strings too and the jazzy 1950's R&B type instrumentation. The girl can definitely sing.

The quirkiness of this production has Missy Elliot written all over it. I have heard that she produced a couple of cuts on the as yet unreleased CD but, I don't know if this is one of them. She's a Philly girl and I first heard of her some months ago. I was reading VIBE and they had her highlighted in their NEXT section. I read it and moved on. I'm glad I remembered seeing her in VIBE when I heard this song... it blew me away.

A co-worker of mine told me that she remembered seeing Jazmine when she was no more than 14 year old (about seven or eight years ago) at the "Five Spot"... a popular Philly night club where you could catch the best new and unsigned Neo-Soul and Hip-Hop acts back in the 90's. Unfortunately, the club burned to the ground in 1999. She said she was happy to hear that another neighborhood girl has made good and gotten herself a recording contract. (Jill Scott got her start at the same club.)

A few nights ago, I was lurking on Eb the Celeb's blog again... (She gets so many comments that all I can do is lurk because she would never get to mine. So, I mostly read her exploits and look at her photos-lol.) I heard another Jazmine Sullivan song called, "Lions and Tigers and Bears". This song sounded nothing like the last one but, had an equal effect on me... I had to stand, turnaround, and listen. There have only been a few artists who have had that kind of effect on me... Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Prince, Rick James, Public Enemy, Biggie, Jay-Z and Missy Elliot come to mind. I'm not putting her in a category with them just yet but right now, she certainly has my attention.

5 comments:

Mizrepresent said...

I love her voice. You know what she looks a lot like Phyllis Hyman. Hey Keith, i'm back!

Eb the Celeb said...

Awwweee thx for the love... and glad you love my taste in music... laughing at what you titled her first song...

the title is Bust your Windows...lol

but her album drops next month and I can't wait... she is really what R&B needs right now... a real soulful voice and not the bubblegum pop stuff or the women that have so many rips and runs that you can't even feel what they are saying

Keith said...

@ Miz- So glad to hear from you,
hope you had a great time in KC.

@Eb the Celeb- lolol-Sorry, I can really butcher the name of a song
can't I?

Anonymous said...

You should listen to "Need You Bad"
That's a good cut too.

Rich Fitzgerald said...

I'm going to have to check her out. You seem like a brother with good musical taste - meaning, you aren't a young buck.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading