Thursday, August 7, 2008

Haterade


One of my African American sisters got promoted to a management position within my department recently. If any of you have wondered just what it is I do when I'm not blogging, I am part of the fund raising and development department of a major university. We talk to donors, alumni, and basically, people with ca$h and persuade them through various ways to fund the many university projects.

I walked around to the sister's office, hugged her, and told her congratulations. There are only 3 black managers in my entire 82 member department. I know how hard it is for a black person to get to that position so, I tried to be supportive. All three of the black managers in my department are females... that says something too but, that's another post for another day.

I wasn't out of her office a hot minute before my phone started ringing. It was a friend of mine, another black woman from across campus. I'll call her D. and her ear is always to the ground. She asked me, "Keith, is it true what I'm hearing?" I sighed and said, "What are you hearing?" She said, "I heard that T.J. got promoted to manager in your department." I said, "No grass grows under your feet D. That's right, she starts today." Then, she said, "That's a damn shame. How did they promote HER? She's not even that knowledgeable." I sighed again and said, "Well, somebody thought so... they gave her the position." She replied, "I can't believe they promoted her... she's not that bright, you know."

Why do we as black people do that to each other? Why can't we be supportive of each other rather than tear each other down? The woman that got promoted is going to have enough eyes and stress on her from the white faculty members. Isn't that enough without having scorn from one of her own?

You should know that D. has applied for several jobs at the university. She says she is at a point where she needs to "run something." She's not worried about money... she just wants to run a department, be a manager, and have a title. In the past year, she has applied for three positions and has been turned down for each one of them. The interviewers said that she was pushy, brash, and her writing skills weren't up to par. Some of that is true but, a lot of it is b.s.

There are several pushy white women (and men) in a lot of high positions. Justifiably, D. feels slighted and the victim of racial prejudice. She may well be but, she's turned a lot of her disappointment inward to the point that, when somebody black gets a position, she always tears into them and questions their capabilities.

She drank a big bottle of Haterade and it's just got to stop. We've got to be more righteous with each other. "We" are all we've got and if we can't celebrate each other's success in this dog-eat-dog world then, who will?

Come on folks. Stop the hate!

10 comments:

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

You know I deplore hating and rudeness more than anything on this earth.

I just don't get tearing someone down to make YOU feel better. It seems we are experts at it. Willie Lynch lives on with every word we use to hate on each other.

I understand criticism but damn can she at least let your friend be a manager before she weighs in on her management skills.

I feel your pain.

So your a development officer, I work with a few people in our dev office at my school.We just got the few blacks we have a few years back. I think its a pretty cool job.

Anyway congratulations to your friend I hope she does the damn thing! It ain't easy being green.

-OG

Shanita Waters said...

Sad but oh so common. Maybe D should look at the other three boss ladies and see how they carry themselves, treat others and manage and she could learn a thing or two. You don't need to be the brightest bulb in the box to be a boss. You only need to make sure you have them working for you. She'll learn one day.

Maybe D should congratulate instead of hating and TJ might pull a few strings for her. You never know when you are going to need someone. We are never going to get anywhere in life being hateful and jealous over the success of others.

D seems to be bitter. Bitterness can consume us if we allow it to. We end up spending so much time talking about what's wrong with everyone else that we can't even see the beam in our own eyes through the mirror.

Anyway, I'm happy for TJ and pray that D will turn all that negative energy around and use it for good.

Anonymous said...

This is my first time over here, but this piece truly resonated with me. I damn near changed careers over a situation like you described with other Black folks trying to tear me down. (I also work in the non-profit sector which already has issues).

I really wish I knew why we feel so good tearing each other down when we should be lifting each other... guess that's one of those things I will never have an exact answer for though.

Keisha "Kitten" Isaacs said...

Hey Brother!

Since you didn't play into the Hate game...she may have felt convicted about it later...Unfortunately she doesn't realize a simple concept that just might help her...blessing the other lady despite her feelings of rejection from the University...will give her favor in the Lord's eyes....Next time you see her...tell her I said..Haters never win...and Winners never hate...lol

Keith said...

@Shanita- Where've you been hiding
Little Sis?

@Keisha -Ditto on that!-lol

@Blackgirlin Maine- Thanks for dropping by...Don't be a stranger,I'll be visiting your site soon too.

Shanita Waters said...

I've been busy with the book and the new business... here's a link

http://www.waterplantgrowth.com/typistservices

Dione said...

Amen! We DO tear each other down and it's a D*** shame! It's like we have the crab mentality. When one makes it to the top, the other crabs reach up with their claws and pull them back down... We've got to do better!

Mizrepresent said...

I so hate haterade! It's not my thing...and only sets u back! When will people learn?

Keith said...

@Miz, OG,Dione- Haterade has such a bitter taste...It doesn't go down well at all.

Anonymous said...

I'll second that! Congradulate,
don't Hate!




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading