Monday, August 18, 2008

Essence Of The Man

A female friend of mine who I have known since she was 14 years old (some thirty years now), announced her pending engagement. She is engaged to a guy I have only known for a short period. What the guy and I have in common is that we were once involved with the same woman many years ago (at the same time, but had never met). We met years later in another setting and from comparing notes, each of us discovered the true identity of the other and we had a good laugh about it (another blog post for another time). That has nothing to do with my friend who he's getting ready to marry.

When she told me just who it was she was marrying, I responded, "Who? Him?" Don't get me wrong... I like this guy, he's a good dude, and always was. The fact that we were both dating the same woman years ago says more about that woman and her deceptiveness... not him. But, he is not the type of guy that my friend usually dates. She usually likes the kind of guys who can drop $100.00 down for a date in a fancy bistro and it not hurt them at all... the kind of guys who have a custom made Lexus with their name engraved on the side. (One of her ex-boyfriends, a doctor, had two Lexuses like that... one was a car and the other an SUV. He was just too smooth for words.)

My man here, went through a divorce in which he lost the home he was living in and the fly car he once drove. When she met him, he was living in an efficiency with a kitchen, bathroom, and a bed in the kitchen. He was driving a 13 year old car that often needed work and, to impress her, he rented a car for their first date just so he wouldn't seem so down and out. He is miles and miles away from who she usually dates so, when she said that she was marrying this man, I had to know why... I had to know what made him so special. She said something to me so profound, I just knew it was going to be the topic of one of my posts.

She told me, "I just love HIM... who he is... I never looked at the essence of any of the guys I dated before. You know, they were all doctors, lawyers, drug dealers, stock brokers, and a few close-to-well-known athletes... guys with lots of money, nice cars, and nice things but, you take away the money, the cars, etc. from a lot of them and I found that you didn't have much left personality wise. I mean there was nothing there of any substance with a lot of them." (There was one now deceased New York rapper she dated who had plenty of personality... too much for his own good... but, that's another story too.)

She also said, "I know that next to them, my new man is a borderline bum but, he's kind, he's very intelligent, hard working, and I know he'd give me the world, if I asked him. And, when you get my age (she is 44), you need someone you can talk to, someone who can hold you, and someone who is a gentlemen more than you need the cash and the flash."

I was pleasantly surprised that she had come this far... back in the 80's, she was known as the highest of the "high maintenance divas". We traveled in the same circles but, none of the guys I hung with would touch her. She was fine they said but, more trouble than she was worth. She married a lawyer who later became a judge and who left her for a white woman. She also married a bank manager who was a drunk and drank himself out of the marriage.

As for her new fiance, he works for the federal government, has just managed to buy himself a new home, and is working on getting a new car. He's coming along... his luck has changed and just by him being himself, he has taught the most unlikely person in the world, a lesson about the true essence of a man. It's about who he is, and not so much what he's got.

9 comments:

♥ CG ♥ said...

Keith, I'm glad you posted this. It speaks to the stage of maturation we're often forced to obtain as single women over 35. When you look around and think about the good brothas you've passed by because they didn't have the material things you thought they should have, it's an eyeopener. Your friend is so right when she says he loves that he has "substance". That can't be bought and is something that stands the test of time. I've been working on a post about "the list" that some women have created. The heck with a list, how about integrity, honesty and genuine love for a change? Great post!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post. I'm searching for that substance. Damn justa Cadillac Escalade. A dude told me this weekend he drives one like that was going to get him in. Boy bye.

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Man I am so glad you wrote this. I think for me who a man is has always been important. The crew and I have oft discussed how men with lots of money don’t tend to have very developed personalities and use their money to get them over that hump.

I have always been a give me a man I truly like over security any day kind of girl. My first husband is and was wildly successful and I never love him for any of that, but the problem is he only loved himself for the security he could offer. He never wanted to grow as a person he was happy in his ways and because he had so much money he remained that way and you know the rest.

However as you know with TOM A it is just like your friend. I love him because of who he is and what I see in him, because I feel like we know one another and above all things I can be who I am, because I am riddle wrapped in enigma dipped in conundrum and sprinkled with irony. I’m happy that your friend has finally learned what love feels like. What a beautiful story to share!! You ol’ romantic debil you !! YES I said debil!! *lol*

-OG

Anonymous said...

This Hits me on so many levels Keith. I just came out of a two year relationship with a guy with basically no personality after you took away his credentials and his money...Once again, great post.

The Dreamy One said...

yeah that is the problem with alot of women....

but you know God has a way of showing you that its not all about those kinds of things

happy that she found her someone that is good and will treat her right. cause that is what it is about!!

Mizrepresent said...

That's real love hun...all of us esp those of us that have reached the 40's know what a good man looks, smells, acts and thinks like...he ain't got to be rich in finances, but rich in compassion, rich in drive, rich in love with me! Great post!

The F_Uitlist said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN! I am sending this post to my single friends. She needs to look at love this way and I keep saying it and she doesn't hear me.

Look at me and my hubby. he is the total opposite of who everyone thought I should be with and we are 17 years deep.

Keith why might I ask do you have word verification, me no likey. I'm just saying.

LadyLee said...

Great post... I think as we as women get older, we begin to mature up and look at what's REALLY important: the true character and essence of that man.

Keith said...

@ the F$%k it List- Word verification gets rid of un-needed
spam.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading