Thursday, July 31, 2008

20 Things You Might Not Have Known About Me (Or Cared To Know)

This was me... a future blogger!
(And yes, they had color pictures when I was a baby-lol.)

Okay, I know this is purely a fluff piece and every blogger and his mama has done one like this... but hey, it's a slow news night so, here goes.

1. I was born on the Monday after Easter of the year I was born.

2. At age 14, I was already 6ft tall and towered over both of my parents.

3. I love libraries and book stores.

4. Because of my early love of reading and because I read everything, I'm a walking encyclopedia of facts that nobody else cares about. I was dubbed the "King of Trivia" by one of my college roommates.

5. I once sold women's shoes... the pay wasn't great but, it was a nice way to make small talk and meet girls. (I met several during this time.)

6. I once worked as a pool cleaner (for the Department of Recreation, City of Philadelphia-lol). This was another nice way to meet women. Me and a friend would close the pool to clean it and fill it back up... and then, let the neighborhood girls back in late at night to swim. We weren't supposed to do that but, we never got caught. We probably ruined it for some teenager with the same summer job.

7. The first president that I was old enough to vote for was Jimmy Carter in 1976 (I didn't vote though, I was away in college).

8. The first time I actually voted was in 1980. (Jimmy Carter was running for president again but this time, he lost to Ronald Reagan).

9. I came very close to pledging Omega Psi Phi and then one night, I saw the Kappas stepping with canes. I was mesmerized so, I changed my mind and changed my life forever.

10. I practically lived with a Delta yet, had my heart broken by two AKA's (at different times... not the same semester).

11. After college, I considered joining the Navy, then enlisted in the Air Force instead.

12. I actually met the future "Mrs. Keith" in a video store.

13. I got married on the lawn of my parents home in New Jersey in 1989.

14. I am allergic to seafood but, would really love to try it. People look like they really enjoy it so much.

15. I love to cook (I'm actually pretty good at it, if I do say so myself).

16. (This should have been number one.) I got baptized and gave my life to the Lord in 1991.

17. I have been in only one fist fight since the 8th grade. (Some unfortunate guy called me the "N" word in 1984 and I hit him with a piece of plywood! I was 26 and hot tempered... what did I know?)

18. I didn't particularly like jocks yet, I lettered in two sports... track (in high school and college) and Soccer (in college). Yeah, I was the odd black guy on the team!

19. I can sing.

20. I'm a (closet) hopeless romantic.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww you were a cute baby!
Quite an interesting post Keith.
Just came back from your other blog, I really liked the poem.

Dreamy said...

im a hopless romantic too

just wanna be swooned and loved all over,lol

i know how to cook but dont like to cook

i can sang just a little,lol

two aka's huh, leave them pretty girls alone Keith,lol

cute baby pic

hey you know what they say about them skinny men.....

ill leave that one alone,lol

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Wow! Now I'm ready for lucnh with you and Mrs. Keith the next time I end up with Philly. SO MUCH TO DISCUSS!!! *lol*

-OG

Anonymous said...

looks like i'm just in time to get to know you :)

plez... said...

like you, i came very close to pledging Omega in college because my girlfriend was a Que Sweetheart. but the charter line for Kappa Alpha Psi crossed in the Spring... their probate show with their canes changed my mind!

so i pledged Kappa the next year after they received their charter (so, i was on the first line that crossed at the new chapter... and 26 years later, i'm the alumni advisor for the chapter).

ZACK said...

Yeah 16 should have been #1, but it doesn't matter what order you talk about the Lord. He's always more important than everything else.

This year, your 50th birthday fell on the Monday after Easter. That must've been pretty cool, huh?

I like soccer as well. And I abhor athletes (just the mean ones, which means all of them)

But what's wrong with the Q Dawgs? And was the stepping a little different in the 1970s than it is now?

Keith said...

Well, I pledged in 1980...but I imagine the steppin was a little different then. No disrespect to the Ques..I just went another way.
I have friends in all of the Frats and Sororities.

I went out for soccer on a dare,figured they'd never pick me
and guess what..They did.

And yeah...My birthday was on the day after Easter this year too...I didn't even realize that...Wow

Anonymous said...

ok... just got a minute to come back and actually read...


I grew up in New Orleans, i dont know what life it like to NOT eat seafood. When I was 16 i developed an allergic reaction to the stuff that seafood is boiled in... still didnt stop eating it.
one trip to the e.r. I asked the dr's what they were giving me to reduce the swelling. They said benadryl.

I've been straight ever since. Never leave home without benadryl.. JUST in case LOL

Keith said...

@Peppermint Beauty- I don't think Benydryl will help me...but thanks anyway.

@Brother Plez...Yup we came to Kappa the same way and my girlfriend at the time was both a
Delta and a que sweetheart.I pledged in Spring 1980.

@ Dreamy- What Do they say about skinny men?? lmao.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading