Thursday, July 17, 2008

Blowin' In The Wind (Part I)


How long will a woman wait for one man? That is a question I pondered yesterday when I happened to run into a young lady that I was once quite smitten with... we met when I was barely 20 years old.

I was home from college and I kept seeing this girl in tight jeans and a rather loose-fitting halter top riding around in these new cars. I saw her early in the morning in a car, later on in the afternoon in another car, and then again that night in a hooptie (which I later learned was her car). Later on that same night, I went to a block party. The music was flowing... "Let's dance, let's dance to the drummers beat...", "I said hotel... motel... Holiday Inn....", "These are the breaks...", and so on. The smell of barbecue was in the air and people were dancing all over the streets. The aroma of fresh "killer" (marijuana) was everywhere and guys had their "forties" in paper bags. Then, I noticed the same girl in the cars sitting by herself so, I sat next to her and started a conversation. I talked about some non-sense and got her to laugh and then, I introduced myself and got her name. I offered to get her a plate of food and some Kool-Aid (unfortunately, it wasn't my Mom's Kool-Aid) and then, we sat and talked some more.

I told her that I was home from college for the summer and that I was working for the Department of Recreation up in North Philly. Of course, I made it sound more important than it really was... what I was actually doing was cleaning the swimming pool in the local playground. My check was from the Department of Recreation so, I guess I wasn't exactly lying... I just left the specifics of what I actually did out of the conversation and since we were in West Philly, there was no chance of her or anybody she knew actually running into me. I also had another job... scooping ice cream at a parlor in University City on the weekends for a few hours. I didn't bother to mention that job at all. She had been in college too but, had dropped out because she got pregnant and had a baby. She was working for a temp agency in town and did secretarial work at a lot of interesting places... the electric company, the gas company, (the Department of Recreation), etc.

We were together until well after midnight... we laughed, talked, ate, and we even danced together a few times. I asked for her phone number and she wrote it down for me on a piece of paper (this was before cell phones and text messaging). I gave her my phone number and walked her to her car. I couldn't help but notice that it didn't look half as new or as good as the first two cars I had seen her in previously so, I asked her about the cars. She said, "Oh, those aren't my cars. They're (I'll call him) Tyrone's... he works at the auto repair place on 59th Street and he lets me drive them once he finishes the work on them and before the owners come to pick them up." (I made a mental note that if and when I ever got a car, never to take it to Tyrone's shop.) I asked, "Is Tyrone your man?" She looked at the ground and said, "Well, not exactly. We have an understanding. He's my son's father but, we 'kinda' are together but, we aren't." I asked her what she meant by that and she said, "You see, Tyrone is married."

She and Tyrone started seeing each other in high school. He would drive up to her college and stay with her on the weekends in the dorms. Then, all of a sudden, he stopped coming. She didn't see him for about a year and, during that time, she had his son. Tyrone was busy too... busy marrying someone else! Tyrone ran into her again after she dropped out of college and told her that, although he was now married with a child on the way, he felt as though he may have made a mistake and that she was his one true love. "You believed that?", I asked. She looked at me and said, "I don't know what to believe. I see him sometimes and then, sometimes I don't see him for months. I can't say that he's my man but, then again, we do have a connection."

Now, here is one of those times when I should have just said, "Okay, it was nice meeting you and bounced. But o-h-h no, not me... I said, "I'd like to meet your little boy and then maybe, if you
wouldn't mind, I'd like to see you again... maybe even take you out." This would prove to be a BIG mistake!

To be continued...

12 comments:

Shanita Waters said...

Interesting... I like cliffhangers too.
Unfortunately a lot of women will accept this type of behavior once they have a baby with someone. true, there is a bond when you "go half on a baby" with someone but that doesn't mean that you become their property.

My girlfriends and I have coined a term for the hold these men have over mother's of theri children, "Baby Daddy Status". Once men acheive this status with some women they can get away with virtually anything. When the ladies allow this, these men think they own the women and that the women are just supposed to be on standby waiting for the man to return and make their house a happy home complete with Mommy and Daddy. ( I know I sound like a Mad Black Woman right about now. But I am. lol
On the other hand, there are women too that think they can do whatever they please once they have a baby by someone. These wwomen use their children to manipulate the men.
Ugh... too much baby daddy dramma flowing through my mind right now. lol
I can't wait for Part 2

Dreamy said...

ohhhhh i cant wait to hear the rest of this stories.

ohhhh lord you were starting to feel sorry for the girl huh????

dang on shame!!!!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

man dont trip its the man in us lol

She Draws said...

Well I thought that was awfully kind of you to still want to be in her life and asking to meet her little boy says alot about your character. Good Cliffhanger Keith...you're not Tyron though are you? LOL

ZACK said...

As Erykah Badu said: "You Better Call Tyrone/But You Can't Use My Phone".

Sorry! I had to throw that in there, Uncle Keef. (Uncle Keef is your new nickname if you have read my responses to your comments on yesterday's post).

I don't think that you are Tyrone, but I know that Part 2 is gonna be good.

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hello there! {waves}

You didn't hear all of the warning bells going off?? *LOL*

{shaking my head}
Lisa

Keith said...

Sure Did....but I kept right on going... I was " a fool for lust"
and I kind of felt sorry for her too. I was just a fool period, I suppose.LOL

Your Favorite Teacher said...

Wow.. interesting turn.. and by the way, on my last post, that was not my classroom... I have no idea whose class it was, but it was not mine. I am in Texas at a workshop... I think the class belongs to a female, but unsure..

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Man, you got cliffhangers now!?! Man a block party I don't think I have ever gone to one sounds like fun, when I was married we usta have a party on my street once a year, but no 40's, killer, or excessively loud music. *lol*

Kinda more like a block get together. I'm not gonna weigh in on your question about how long until I get the WHOLE story, but I am formulating.

Man why you gotta leave a sister HANGING!!!

-OG

Keith said...

Zack Kirk - Sorry Man, Just having
a little fun...

OG- This story was too long to tell in one post. Sorry.

Lilttle Sis Shanita- You were taking the Baby Daddy thing a little personal there...what's up
Ma?-lololol

Ashley- No...I'm not Tyrone!!!lolol

Mizrepresent said...

Oh, how i love cliffhangers, and you got me going with this story...i so want to know what went down...but could probably predict it or write it myself, and yet still i want to hear your voice Keith...these times make me reminisce, good and bad times, growing times, times that most definitely define us...so lets see who Keith was, who Keith is...i can't wait!

Keith said...

I'll see everyone tomorrow morning
at 8:00.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading