Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"Red" Kool-Aid & Other Randomness

Okay, this is a totally crazy post and further proof that sometimes, I'll write even when I don't really have anything to talk about. After a slew of controversial subjects, I like to lighten things up a bit. (One more reason why I'll never make the top ten bloggers list...I'm all over the map!)

Well, I'm just sitting here on the computer with the window open, catching a cool breeze, and sipping on "Red" Kool-Aid... laid back, with my mind on why I don't have much money and much money on my mind-lol.

Since I'm sipping on "Red" Kool-Aid and was previously listening to The Roots new CD, "Rising Down", I started thinking about a time when I was much younger and when my mother would make us a big pitcher of "Red" Kool-Aid (it was really Cherry or Fruit Punch but, you know, being black, we simply called it "Red").

My mother always did something magical with the Kool-Aid. She would add a can of pineapple juice to it and then some ginger ale. I kid you not... and, it was a great treat to have after you had been outside playing all day and part of the night. There was no Kool-Aid like hers... any of my friends who happened to be over my house and was fortunate enough to have her special brand of Kool-Aid can attest to that. There was nothing like it. She continued to make it up until last year, when she got sick.

For some reason, I could never make it the way she did, even though I knew the ingredients. I would have a tall glass by my side when I was typing on my old IBM Selectric II typewriter (Remember those? And, if you can't, I don't want to know about it!) and listening to Earth, Wind & Fire, Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Rick James... and P-Funk.

Some things never change... others unfortunately do. Today, I might be grooving to The Roots, Usher, Tank, Jaheim, and Chrisette Michelle. The difference is, now they are not coming from a record player or a boom box cassette... they're coming from a CD player or they are playing right from the computer. The computer has now replaced my old typewriter. But, that "Red" Kool-Aid is right by my side, just as it was was back then. That much hasn't changed.

*********************************

I am blog surfing tonight... making comments on other blogs... reading my comments on my last two posts... and desperately looking for a topic to blog about or should I say "rage" about. We all blogged about the "Obama-Osama" cartoon on the cover of the New Yorker ad nauseum.

I wanted desperately to just chill this evening... I didn't want to write about anything too heavy and I sure haven't! I thought I had a writer's block, started to panic, and there it was... sitting right in front of me... my topic for this post... "Red" freakin' Kool-Aid.

Bloggers, don't try this at home... you'll destroy your credibility (like I just did).

6 comments:

Dreamy said...

Keith what are you talking about, you are the shysss. trust me i wont ever make the bloggers top 10 list either, so we are in the same boat.

yep that red cool aid, it is the shysss too like you,lol. moms always put pinneapple juice in hers too,lol

and just blog about anything, thats what i do.

let me tell you what i want to hear about: how you knew your wife was the one, how was your childhood, what made you want to join the fraternity, how was it in the military, what kind of person you were growing up, what kind of personality do you have.

thats what i want to hear about, give us a little insight into Keiths world,lol

and how is Michelle Chrisettes Cd, i love her new song "Love is You" lord i drive Ash crazy with that song,lol

Keith said...

Ok...I've got my nerve up...watch the next few posts...You're going to learn all about me...barring a
controversy that I just have to address!lol

Keith said...

Chrisette Michelle is da bomb diggity!!!! She reminds me of a real kool old school singer...The kind that existed before I was born. She's real crazy jazzy kool!

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Red Kool-Aid YUM!! My grandmother does something similar with a bottle of Hawaiian Punch, OJ, and Sprite. She makes that for every family dinner we have. I never can get mine like hers and I like you HAVE TRIED.

I’m writing a post that was inspired by ?uestlove so you really should enjoy tomorrows post!!

I love random blogs the most, they are my favorite to read and write!

-OG

Shanita Waters said...

Vey cute.... What's a typewritter? lol... I'm an 80's baby so I don't know much about that but I do know about Kool Aid. I wish I had some right now. I will have to try the can of pineapple juice thing.

You didn't ruin your credibility either. A true writer can write about anything and make is sound good...like you just did.

Shanita Waters said...

dreamy - good topics... I like. I'm stopping by your blog next.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading