Monday, July 14, 2008

I AM, THEREFORE, I BLOG!!!

From "blog surfing", I have discovered that there is a service that actually rates blogs and one that rates black blogs. I have read the writings of different bloggers lamenting that they didn't crack the top twenty-five, the top ten, or what have you. I myself am not worried about cracking anything. I'm pretty sure that I am way under the radar, considering this is such a new blog (it's only seven months old).

What makes me sad is that, in America and western society in general, everything is built on competition and eventually, profit. People fail to understand that when those two elements get in the mix, all of the fun, beauty, and creativity of anything goes flying out of the window.

I have always taken a pencil or a pen and put my thoughts down on paper. I have done this for as long as I can remember. This is something I just do, without thinking of profit. I do it because writing is therapy for me... it's relaxing and it's fun. I do plan to be published one day but, whether I am or not has nothing to do with whether I will continue to write. I will always do that.

When my wife came to me with the idea of doing a blog myself, I was hesitant at first but, after actually seeing a few blogs, I decided to give it a go and gradually we created something that I can say I'm proud of. I will admit that in the past few months, I have become a shameless "comment whore", to borrow a term from my sister blogger, "O.G."... but, like her, I have "found Jesus" and I have my head on straight now. I know what's really important.

I have looked at a lot of blogs and I must admit that I have my favorites which continue to inspire me (most of them are listed and linked on this blog, if you scroll down the sidebar). There's the raw, naked, and passionate honesty of "Chicago Zack"; the creativity and brilliance of "Mizrepresent"; the jazzy fluid writings of "O.G.-The Original Glamazon"; and the usually on-point political commentary of "The Field Negro" and "Hodari P.T. Brown". These are blogs that keep me on my toes and constantly inspire me to step up my game (which I haven't done yet... I got a long way to go before I get to their level but, half the fun is aspiring and trying to get there).

I would hate to find myself in any kind of competition with them for blog of the year or what have you. Rating blogs to me is as silly as rating a "My Space" page or an email address. I want to continue to have fun, to write on my own terms, and not be bound to any formal criteria or standards that are not my own. So, while I want to be "popular" and read, I don't care if I ever crack the top twenty-five or top ten of any formal blog rating system. If I can express myself, inform, and perhaps make someone smile after reading one of my posts, then I have done what I set out to do when I started this blog.

I'd also like to take this time to shout out some of my new blog friends:

"Dreamy", "Keisha 'Kitten' Isaacs", "EB, the Celeb" (a true renaissance woman), Zack Kirk, my little sis "Shanita Waters", and Torrance "The Raw Dawg Buffalo" Stephens.

May we continue to be original and creative voices of the new blogosphere!!!

12 comments:

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Yes, I have been paying attention to the blogs that chronicle blogs lately it is like a rabbit hole when you are surfing the WWW. I am with you, I’m not so much worried about rankings as I am readership. Actually when I think about it, I am not really worried about readership either, because the more people read you it seems the more you writing becomes for others and not you, it’s a fine line to walk.

The thing that I think is the coolest is how people find me and my blog. However I didn’t take this up to make a living I think many blogs that are out there are generating revenue through ads and stuff. If you ask me, that’s when you could possibly get burned out. What happens when a hobby becomes a job then what becomes your release.

Thanks for the love!! As always I appreciate you and your wife, lurker that she is!! 

Keith said...

She's my editor and graphics person.. She makes sure that everything is spelled right and that the right image is posted above each post..I'm like Robin Thicke- "Lost without her"-lololol.

Q said...

Rating a blog? Yours is definitely amazing though...

Eb the Celeb said...

Thanks for the shout...and I feel you...

everyone wants to be recognize for the work that they do but I dont take this blogging thing seriously. I do it because I love it, or because I have thoughts in my head that no one in the real world will listen to.

Its like therapy for me...but a helluva lot cheaper than paying a therapist.

So I write for me... but like you... am happy when people can relate or something I write touches them and they have the urge to leave a comment.

Now things I write for other blogs are editorial and exude my passion as a writer but my spots... are simply that... my spots... and I do it because I like it and write about what I feel.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

thanks for the love folk and welcome to the bloerverse

good look OG

Anonymous said...

I blog for me and for fun. I'm not a writer or anything but started blogging after reading other blogs. Thought it would be fun to put my spin on things. Plus I think alot and just wanted to put my thoughts out there. And I'm not that deep. lol

Mizrepresent said...

Hey Keith,

You are just so inciteful and kind, thanks so much for shouting me out...but like you, i don't do it for prosperity or popularity...i do it for me...and that's what keeps me going daily. I love it when people get it, people get me...but if they don't i know that i am just sending my thoughts out into the atmosphere and hoping that it touches someone, and knowing that it does from time to time is my reward. We are a powerful new vehicle that everyone is recognizing now...i am not meant to be bought or directed, so i stay true to my own game...and do me, on the daily. I love your blog, and so many others for the true geniuneness of it all, that's what keeps me coming back, time and time again.

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

So it seems your wife is just as much of a blogger as you. So I won't harass her about lurking, she's busy making this place SHINE!

You should get a T-shirt with her picture that says she's my co-blogger. You know like those Jesus is my co-pilot shirts. *lol*

-OG

Dreamy said...

ohhhhh wow, i feel so honored Keith. i totally agree with you, when i first started blogging it was to get my feelings to get my feelings out.

along the way i have made some wonderful friends. i love surronding myself around positive people, it makes my day,lol

thank you honey for the shot out, and once a friend always a freind for life

*smooches*

Your Favorite Teacher said...

Thanks for stopping by! I love blogging and I am happy to be in such a great community of reflective thinkers...

ZACK said...

Thanks Bro. Keith! I strive to provide "raw, naked, and passionate" sex- I mean honesty- to all (women) who visit my blog. :) [The men are on their own]

I found your blog, like I find other blogs- by going to my profile and clicking on an Interest that I have. In your case, I think it was Malcolm X or something like that.

You are absolutely right- creativity matters more than revenue. This is why I refuse to put ads on my blog. Instead, you all have noticed that I put a spotlight blog roller. This is a way for everybody to be motivated to visit at least 1 person on my blog roll every week.

In a year's time, we should have visited everyone's blog at least twice.

Don't be ashamed of shamelessly plugging yourself. It's my specialty.

Keith said...

Thank You , Zack, OG, Miz,Keisha,
EB,Raw Dogg, Southern Gal ,Dreamy
and Zack Kirk for your support and
friendship. Your comments always
mean so much to me.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading