Friday, July 18, 2008

Blowin' In The Wind (Part II)


Well, this girl called me the next day. She asked me if I'd like to come to her house to meet her mother and her son. I said, I'd be delighted. (Okay, I didn't say "delighted"... I said "cool". I was 6'1" tall, 165 pounds, and thought I was hot shyys.) I went to her house and met her mother and little baby boy, who was one year old at the time.

We talked and I gave her mother the same spiel... that I was home from college, working at "The Department of Recreation", and I lived with my mother, father, and brother over on the northwest side of Market Street. Her mother seemed surprised that I came from a two-parent home (?), impressed that I was still in college (?), and had some crazy idea that I had "money"(?).

I had what you call a "Kansas City knot" in my pocket... that's a twenty dollar bill on one end, 60 one dollar bills in the middle, and another twenty dollar bill on the other end. I carried it in a money clip and it gave the appearance that I was what you'd now call a "big baller... shot caller". I laugh about it now... I thought I had so much game. It was all a mirage, as Smokey Robinson would say. (I know you younguns, "Zack", "Dreamy", maybe even "O.G.", and certainly Shanita, don't know nothin' about "Smokey".)

We began dating that summer... we went to movies, a baseball game, Atlantic City, and a couple of clubs. (We were both under age but, a little thing like that never stopped me). I began to notice things that I didn't like about her right away. For one thing, she was very flirtatious. Everywhere we went, she would be winking or giving some guy the eye... enough to make him think he could come over and try to "beat my time".

I wasn't her man, not officially, and there wasn't too much I could say. All I ever did was pout and I think she actually liked that somehow. Guys would be slipping her their phone number while I was paying the bill at one of many places we would be eating and, all the while, I was powerless because more than anything, I didn't want to "lose" her. She was fine and I was kind of the envy of my friends because I had her on my arm but, it soon became apparent that I didn't really have her... she had me!

Then, of course, there was Tyrone.

To be continued...

7 comments:

Mizrepresent said...

I remember Smokey! lol! Awe man, you are right she had you...but i feel a lesson coming.

She Draws said...

Keith..I'm gonna smack you... I got all ready with my cup of morning tea..and look what you do to me... the anticipation is building ...LOL

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Man I grew up in a Motown home, I remember Smokey for real, although now he scares me with the plastic surgery! *lol*

You ARE killing me with these cliffhangers. I came here checking a few times for this part deaux.

I can not wait to hear the rest of this and of course the always awesome pearls of wisdom you share at the end.

I hope you and your co-blogger have a good weekend!!

-OG

Keith said...

The conclusion will post tomorrow
and I did drop some "wisdom" that I
hope my female readers will learn
something from.

This wasn't exactly a pleasent memory for me. I try to see the humor in even the most dismal of situations..

There is no happy ending to this story..I will tell you that much
,as you'll see.

Shanita Waters said...

You're killing me with the suspense!

ooh ooh ooh baby baby... see I do know who Smokey is. lol.

This girl is a trip but I get a feeling that she is a product of her own enviornment and far more trouble than she was worth.

I can't wait to read what happens next.

Dreamy said...

wow, why are men so gullible when it comes to fine women!!!

and Smokey is the shysss, my favorite song by him is Quiet Storm!!!!

okay going to read the finally!!

*smooches*

Keith said...

We can't help ourselves I suppose.




KEEPING THE FAITH: RANDOM PRAYERS "ON THE DOWNLOAD"










































































"Mommy, can I go to Timmy's blog and play?"



































Click on image to enlarge for reading






Click on image to enlarge for reading



Click on image to enlarge for reading